Powerup cheats in Smash T.V.

This FORUM is ONLY for posting requests for M.A.M.E. arcade cheats. The actual cheats should be posted in the M.A.M.E. "Arcade" Cheats forum. For cheat requests a 'please' would do no harm...
thedalek

Post by thedalek »

I was startled to see that the Smash TV cheats listed were only for infinite lives and invincibility, when other games had things like "Always have weapon _X_". What game deserves that option more than Smash TV? Always have 3-way gun, or Always have shield, or any of the other powerups would be a great addition.

Only thing: Either I don't understand how to use the cheat engine properly, or it's darned hard to find any values at all in Smash TV. Possibly I'm searching in the wrong CPU.
ianpatt

Post by ianpatt »

Smash TV uses indirect addressing to many of its stats, like which gun you have. This makes it impossible (without patching the game itself, or having some other breakthrough) to find these type of cheats and have them work all throughout the game.

Post by Guest »

How about the new cheat engine? Shouldn't it be able to work via an indirect cheat?
ianpatt

Post by ianpatt »

It should, but no one's made a cheat yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ianpatt on 2001-11-09 00:36 ]</font>
Tourniquet

Post by Tourniquet »

Smash Tv seems to be a little tricky.

I spent a little while looking at this a couple of weeks ago.
The code is dynamically loaded into ram and the data is also dynamically allocated ram.

Basically, The indirect addressing is done with an offset added to the value of a register (A13, offset is 220h for ammo off the top of my head). The register's value is not copied from a ram location. It seems to be derived.

Patching the code (+ checks) prior to it being loaded is a possibility I suppose.

Anyway, The simplest proof I have is to find an ammo cheat (get the 3-way or grenades, search for 0x09, fire 1 shot and decrease by 1).

Set a BPW on that address and you should find the code where it is decremented. Look at the value of A13.

Anyway, the code is never in the same place let alone the data.

Any great suggestions?

Post by Guest »

Well then, perhaps the next step is to decipher just how the value of A13 is calculated. Once we know the algorithm, we can figure out if there's a way to assemble the pieces ourselves.

Solving the Smash TV problem may require 2 levels of indirection and probably a means of reading registers (because if the code is dynamically loaded, even at boot time, there must be a point where it's told where to allocate the memory. It can't be totally random, can it?)
Tourniquet

Post by Tourniquet »

Register, Oh go on! Then you can have you own sig. and people can know who the hell you are :wink:

Post by Guest »

The last time I did, I got inexplicably banned from this and lots of other boards. I have a feeling it was the result of someone else. In any event, I don't wanna have to deal with that mess again because of something someone else did.
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

Well you've never been banned from this board - it's a completely local board and the only people who can ban are the moderators - though that may actually only be me. I have never banned.....at least not yet - either on this local board or when it was a emuworld global board. So go ahead register you should be safe from banning :wink:

On the Smash TV front - I'd like to help but I'm have serious MAME problems at the moment and SmashTV is one of the games that refuses to load and gives me ROM errors even although the ROMs are intact and I've rezipped them and left them unzipped and they pass the audit just fine. I'll play some more trying to get it to work....I think it maybe a WinXP driver thing though why it only effects me is a mystery :sad: