[nbajam] Always break backboard when dunking

This FORUM is ONLY for posting requests for M.A.M.E. arcade cheats. The actual cheats should be posted in the M.A.M.E. "Arcade" Cheats forum. For cheat requests a 'please' would do no harm...
OldSchoolGamer

Post by OldSchoolGamer »

Abystus

Re: [nbajam] Always break backboard when dunking

Post by Abystus »

Happen to have a saved state right before breaking the backboard in the latest MAMEUIFX32 (I'm using 0.157)?
Bored? Watch some of my hacks here.
syndromtr

Post by syndromtr »

Abystus,

as you have current nba jam cheats, you can easily finalize and add this request. after deciding this "break backboard" is available to player(s) or CPU. here is the routine:

(i searched and found that it depends on quarter) and found quarter byte and found the routine.

FF98FF80-
you can set breakpoint for that or watchpoint @ 10F0F70, holds current quarter.

there, first quarter is checked, and then some values are checked...

also this break backboard feature might be valid for other nba games...
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

syndromtr wrote:Abystus,

as you have current nba jam cheats, you can easily finalize and add this request. after deciding this "break backboard" is available to player(s) or CPU. here is the routine:

(i searched and found that it depends on quarter) and found quarter byte and found the routine.

FF98FF80-
you can set breakpoint for that or watchpoint @ 10F0F70, holds current quarter.

there, first quarter is checked, and then some values are checked...

also this break backboard feature might be valid for other nba games...
I did initially find this branch shortly after he posted this request. I tried tinkering with the routine (looks like spaghetti code btw), but never did find a working path to breaking the backboard without some sort of successful comparison trace. I was not able to replicate the backboard breaking at any point during game play (fourth quarter) even with my dunk anywhere cheat activated. I found a single video on youtube of the backboard breaking for the arcade version, so at least we know it is possible. My guess is the game is possibly checking player stats, fire status, position of dunk, time on clock, and possibly other things in addition to the quarter to determine if it should break at all. I may look further into this request when I get time (unless you hack it before I get a chance).
syndromtr

Post by syndromtr »

ok you're right. it's hard to find from there BUT
i managed to break backboard this way: please check and finalize cheat :)

i selected Charles Barkley,
play until last period,
here are P1's some variables (one is probably # of baskets scored, other unknown)

10FA110 and 10FA120 (increase their value to $3x or $4x from monitor)
take a snapshot again and try slamdunking from a distance. after a few tries, backboard is broken.

at last you'll probably need to remove period # and these variable value checks to allow them anytime
(of course you can trace on-off just before this and investigate code easier to finalize)

also it seems probabilty can be increased if there's less than a minute left, last 30 secs. always happens.
syndromtr

Post by syndromtr »

here is a snapshot (mameuifx 0158)
load it and try to eliminate CPU players in that last 30 secs and dunk, 100% broken glass.
(i manually increased values of 10FA110 and 10FA120 in that snapshot - also 10FA118 might be read somewhere too)

http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/MVirRxOY/file.html
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

This request has been filled here. Thanks for the saved state syndromtr, it really helped my program out :).