[nbajam] Power Up Cheats

This FORUM is ONLY for posting requests for M.A.M.E. arcade cheats. The actual cheats should be posted in the M.A.M.E. "Arcade" Cheats forum. For cheat requests a 'please' would do no harm...
editing101

[nbajam] Power Up Cheats

Post by editing101 »

Hello everyone. Being a big fan of [nbajam], I have a request regarding the ‘power up’ codes that are typically enabled on the “Tonight’s Match Up” screen.

Normally you have to enter the following button combinations on the ‘match up’ screen to enable the ‘power ups’ :

BIG HEAD: Hold joystick up and hold Turbo and Steal
POWERUP DEFENSE: Tap Steal or Block eight times
POWERUP INTERCEPT: Tap Turbo twice, then hold down on the joystick and all three buttons
POWERUP OFFENSE: Tap Steal or Block 21 times (a very difficult cheat to get working normally - would be much easier under the mame cheat menu)
COMPUTER ASSISTANCE DISABLED: Tap turbo ten times (only works in three or four player games)
SHOOTING PERCENTAGE DISPLAY: spin joystick clockwise and
rapidly tap all three buttons at once until tip-off.
TANK GAME: Players 1 and 2 hold down all three buttons and hold down joystick at "Tonight's match up". (Already found by Abystus !)

The effects of these cheats are always confirmed on the game screen afterwards (see below):

Big Head Mode

Computer Assistance Off

Power Up Defense

Power Up Intercept

Shot Percentage Activated

To make finding these codes a bit easier, Abystus has already found the awesome tank game cheat in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10783

By using the following address:

Code: Select all

<cheat desc="Play Hidden 3D Tank Game">
      <comment>Enable before match-up screen is shown.</comment>
      <script state="run">
        <action>maincpu.mw@0007A3E=0300</action>
      </script>
      <script state="off">
        <action>maincpu.mw@0007A3E=CB10</action>
      </script>
  </cheat>
Since the tank game cheat is activated on the ‘match up’ screen, we can assume (?!) that the rest of the ‘match up’ cheats are at a similar address location on the rom?!

I have save states for five of the codes (Big Head, Defense, Intercept, Shoot %, CPU assist) if anyone needs them.

Thanks in advance :D !
editing101

Re: [nbajam] Power Up Cheats

Post by editing101 »

Hi guys,

Just thought I’d bump this request, as I’ve come across another “teaser” on some of the supposedly hidden features of the original NBA Jam rom.

In the FAQ for the original game, (http://www.mogelpower.de/cheats/loesung.php?id=6650) the main programmer Mark Turmell describes two hidden features that are accessed on the “Tonight’s Match Up” screen - “Learning Mode 1” and “Learning Mode 3”.

“Learning Mode 2” already exists and is confirmed as the Shot % Display Activated cheat activated on the “Match Up” screen:

Abystus, (thanks again for your previous help by the way :D ), as you’ve already identified and created the “Tank Game” cheat, is there any chance you can scan the “Tonight’s Match Up” address of the rom to identify any of the cheats that are able to be activated in the game?

Any info you have would be much appreciated :D
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

Here are some of the cheats you wanted, I'll leave the rest for Abystus as requested...+ it's bedtime.

Update added the other cheats...

<cheat desc="Shot % Display (Learning Mode 2)"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen  </comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10F1290=0001</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="Computer Assistance Turned Off"> <comment>Only works in three or four player games</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.mw@210B0=C003</action> <!-- This ROM cheat was made by Pugsy, 210B0=FF908580, hard codes the final 10F1280 check for 000A so that you can have this and Powerup Defense at the same time -->
    </script>
    <script state="off">
      <action>maincpu.mw@210B0=CA03</action>
    </script>    
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P1 Big Head"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E59C0=0001|(maincpu.pw@10E59C0 BAND ~0001)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P1 Powerup Intercept"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E59D0=0001|(maincpu.pw@10E59D0 BAND ~0001)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P1 Powerup Defense"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10F1250=0008</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P2 Big Head"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E59C0=0002|(maincpu.pw@10E59C0 BAND ~0002)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P2 Powerup Intercept"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E59D0=0002|(maincpu.pw@10E59D0 BAND ~0002)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P2 Powerup Defense"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10F1260=0008</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P3 Big Head"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E59C0=0004|(maincpu.pw@10E59C0 BAND ~0004)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P3 Powerup Intercept"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E59D0=0004|(maincpu.pw@10E59D0 BAND ~0004)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P3 Powerup Defense"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10F1270=0008</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P4 Big Head"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E59C0=0008|(maincpu.pw@10E59C0 BAND ~0008)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P4 Powerup Intercept"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen   </comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E59D0=0008|(maincpu.pw@10E59D0 BAND ~0008)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P4 Powerup Defense"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10F1280=0008</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.259 XML cheat collection (6 OCTOBER 2023) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/q4dHGZ6K#i-EUiqIjH ... KMz7hnbTfw (ZIP Archive 3.76MB)
editing101

Post by editing101 »

Nice one Pugsy, cheers for that :D ! Have just tested, and the great thing about having these cheats on the MAME menu is that you can combine them (see below)!

Cheats that were previously impossible to combine due to the complexity of the button presses are now possible....look forward to learning more :D !
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

Made the other cheats...and updated my previous post above

POWERUP OFFENSE doesn't exist, if you complete the tank game you get all the powerups but not OFFENSE so I guess it's been removed from nbajam.

As for the other learning mode cheats, I can't see anything obvious in the code (all the cheats above I found by analysis of the program code flow). Give me the key sequences to activate them and I'll make cheats for them...
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.259 XML cheat collection (6 OCTOBER 2023) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/q4dHGZ6K#i-EUiqIjH ... KMz7hnbTfw (ZIP Archive 3.76MB)
editing101

Post by editing101 »

Sterling work Pugsy, thanks again for your efforts :D ! No go then on the POWERUP OFFENSE cheat, as apparently you had to hit Steal or Block precisely 21 times on the match up screen to get it to work.

Have checked another source (see below - pg. 84 Video Games and Computer Entertainment Magazine Issue 55 August 1993) which debunks “Learning Mode 3”, however, “Learning Mode 1” activates and displays the “Hot Spots” of each player in the game, so when a player stands on a “Hot Spot”, they have a 100% chance of sinking the basket. The button combinations for this “Mode” however, are not disclosed - maybe this feature was present in revisions 1 or 2 (maybe a check could be done)?

However, while I’m no expert on MAME hacking, and using your codes as a basis, I’ve managed to come up with some interesting codes that influence player behaviours:

<cheat desc="P1 Can Walk Anywhere Off Court”> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E5910=0001|(maincpu.pw@10E5910 BAND ~0001)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P3 Is Frozen”> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E5960=0001|(maincpu.pw@10E5960 BAND ~0001)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P4 Is Frozen”> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E5970=0001|(maincpu.pw@10E5970 BAND ~0001)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

Maybe you can ‘finesse’ these to work more smoothly?!? Thanks again for your help :D !