Help me cheat at JPM Hangman please

This FORUM is ONLY for posting requests for M.A.M.E. arcade cheats. The actual cheats should be posted in the M.A.M.E. "Arcade" Cheats forum. For cheat requests a 'please' would do no harm...
Dumpster

Help me cheat at JPM Hangman please

Post by Dumpster »

Hi all. First post for me. I did something a year ago using Cheat Engine and it was amazing, and now I'm trying to do it again for the purposes of a video, and I can't even get started.

JPM's Hangman quiz machine is emulated in Mame, and this is the machine we played at our local pub in the 1990s. It's marketed as a Skill With Prizes machine - you answer questions, solve the hangman words and win cash. We won a jackpot once, and played every week since then. We used to pride ourselves on having good general knowledge skills, but MAME showed me that this machine is rigged and only lets you win when it wants to.

In the game, you guess a hangman phrase a letter at a time, answering general knowledge questions as you go. A banner at the top of the screen shows you how many points you need to win £1, and this banner scrolls along, ultimately leading to a £30 jackpot.

With MAME of course, you can pause the machine and google any quiz answers that you need. This is absolutely fascinating to do, because the machine seems to regulate its payout ratio. In other words, if the machine does not want to pay out money, it will do whatever it can to stop you from winning any further. Most obviously it starts asking you quiz questions that are very difficult, but of course you can pause the machine in MAME and still win by googling the answers. But then what happens is the behaviour of the machine goes absolutely crazy as it does everything it can to make sure you lose.

First you need to make a cheat that stops the timer bars from decreasing. If you don't do this, you find you don't get long enough to read the question, let alone answer it correctly.

Next you find that the machine is asking you questions that are so obscure you can't even find the answer by googling. So you need to make a cheat that gives you unlimited "Try Again!" lives, allowing you to guess, A, then B, then C, until you get the right answer.

Next, you find that the hangman word is long, scores you very few points, and is very difficult to guess, so you need to make a cheat to have unlimited hangman limbs. I also noticed that the machine offers you a choice of three letters, and when it's trying to make you lose, only one of the three will be a correct choice, so you don't even get any option on the question category.

Also, the banner at the top of the screen shows that where you used to need 100 points to win a prize, now there's nothing in view at all. You can't see how many points you'll need to get the £30 jackpot, because the screen doesn't display that far. With every completed phrase now only worth 25 points, you have no idea how many correct answers you would need to give in a row just to get a £1 prize - it's fascinating really!

Finally, the machine, realising that you are somehow still winning, goes completely insane throwing in a bonus game that is impossible to win. You choose a target by pressing the button when the gunsight lines up on the choice you want. But there's not enough time and the options you can shoot before the timer runs out can all be booby prizes or instant game overs.

If you get two jackpots in a row, the behaviour of the machine is genuinely hilarious and fascinating to see.

I did all this with Cheat Engine, but I have no idea why I can't do it again and video this amazing gaming experience. Can anyone help me?

Thank you!
Last edited by Dumpster on Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pugsy

Re: Help me cheat at JPM Hangman please

Post by Pugsy »

This should help a bit:-

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12613
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.259 XML cheat collection (6 OCTOBER 2023) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/q4dHGZ6K#i-EUiqIjH ... KMz7hnbTfw (ZIP Archive 3.76MB)
Dumpster

Re: Help me cheat at JPM Hangman please

Post by Dumpster »

That's incredible, thank you sooooo much!