Mortal Kombat 2 Walking Speed modifier.

This FORUM is ONLY for posting requests for M.A.M.E. arcade cheats. The actual cheats should be posted in the M.A.M.E. "Arcade" Cheats forum. For cheat requests a 'please' would do no harm...
omegared37

Mortal Kombat 2 Walking Speed modifier.

Post by omegared37 »

There was a code like this done for MK1, and I'm trying to make an MK2 version. Ive searched with character starting and stopping and the like, but no results yet...
If you were a hotdog and you were starving would you eat yourself-Hary Kary
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Don't know if it's similar or not, but have you checked the game code in MK1 to see what the actual cheat does? It might very well be an identical cheat at a different location.
omegared37

Post by omegared37 »

The cheat for the MK1 value just places the walk fast property Reptile has on your character. That might work for 2 uses Smoke's speed but I have no idea of how to find such a value.
MRMIdAS

Post by MRMIdAS »

Right.

Play as P2, use P! as a punching bag until the portal level, but FIRST search a value, pick greater or less, and keep searching equal or less, and greater or equal, until H.Smoke (I'm assuming you know how to get him)

Once on H.Smoke, search "Greater", then keep searching both equal or less, and greater or equal.

TAKE NOTE OF THE ADDRESSES AND VALUES AT THIS POINT

finish the match.

Next round against the "human" opponent P1, search "less" and you should have your code.

modify it to the value you noted in the H.Smoke match, you should then have your speed code.
Win if you can
Lose if you must
ALWAYS CHEAT!
omegared37

Post by omegared37 »

No luck on this route so far but thanks for the help :D .

My plan is to find a walking speed modifier and the value that makes a character smoke (like smoke or when hit by certain projectiles) to make a more accurate play as Smoke code.

On a side note

We all know playing as them makes the game crash because they dont have a defined moveset, but I found something interesting. When you force a human player to be Smoke he dosen't Smoke...only the CPU does. Could this be the real reason the game freezes? Probably not but who knows?
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

The game doesn't crash just because the smoke isn't there, it just crashes as it tries to load Smoke's non-existent moves, but instead finds gibberish code, writes to nonpaged RAM and crashes. The smoke is most likely just a bit set - just like the True Ogre 'darkness' background in Tekken 3.

I was trying to find a way to select Unknown (Tekken Tag) but it crashes the same way, which is more unusual for the Tekken series. Maybe once the protection/encryption and bugs are looked at* I might make some moveset modifications (Unknown with Mokujin's random bit set would be OK for now). Maybe it's something to do with the wolf (Unknown's version of 'smoke'!), I don't know. ;)

* Each time someone asks about this, MAMEdev adds one month to looking at it (it's up to about September 2021 now!)
omegared37

Post by omegared37 »

Yeah I knew it was looking for moves it couldnt find. What about the Smoke could that be some extra code line or is it just included in what's supposed to be his moveset? Also to note most of the 3 secret characters jump and sometimes duck works.

That is odd for Tekken. How does it work with character/movesets compared to Tekken? I thought Tekken did the same as MK as evidenced by the ability to mix up character and moveset but how come the unselectables in 1 and Purple suit kazuya in 2 don't crash the game?

We need to discuss Tekken hacking sometime.

Back to MK movesets. Do you think its possible MK loads a seperate set of CPU movesets from memory somewhere. I doubt it but could we find and load that in place of the one for players that dosen't exist?
MRMIdAS

Post by MRMIdAS »

AFAIK the CPU loads in a list of moves that character can do, irregardless of what buttons it takes, so people like smoke don't "have" a moveset, the CPU is just told it is allowed to use the Spear and Teleport Punch, the moves themselves call the animation frames.

Thats why you have to dummy movesets onto unplayable characters. as the CPU doesn't use human movesets (IE: everything is assigned to button pushes), and as the characters aren't FOR human play, them having a "human" moveset was pointless.

As far as Tekken goes, I'd suggest said characters WERE going to be playable at some point, but were removed, possibly for balance issues.
Win if you can
Lose if you must
ALWAYS CHEAT!
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Sorry to hijack the thread again(!), but I think Namco just simplified Tekken by making the CPU player just an on/off trigger. Unknown is just unknown though. ;)

That, or Namco decided they didn't need 17 different characters in Tekken 1. 99% of the moves are identical for the bosses anyway. Ganryu is the only character to receive a new move, the 'hundred hand slap' as I call it. As for Prototype Jack, there is only two animations in total, his stance (spinning drill/hand) and the win animation. The others just tend to have stand/duck/jump and the rest, whilst inputs are copied directly to other character's moves. The Heavy Power Punch and the Phoenix Smasher ('Deathfist') are exactly the same in T1! Unfortunately, I couldn't find triggers to change them into kelvsyc's style MLCs. There is way too many to release into the mainstream cheat.dat anyway, but it would be good as a separate file.

Midway on the other hand, just decided to add NPCs, just like you'd find in the GTA series or maybe WoW (ugh!). Of course, selecting and playing as them is not what they wanted you to do so the game has a fit. I gather, is you want smoke graphics to appear, you need to find the trigger (probably a 1) and set it. It would probably work with anyone, from Baraka to Kintaro.
omegared37

Post by omegared37 »

Incredible never thought about them being NPCs, although that would easily explain how CPU's always gain higher move priority, ability to throw, and every other cheap technique in the book.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Not to mention the one-frame-after-your-uppercut counter hit they always get out (you attempt to uppercut them, they manage to duck perfectly each time and uppercut you).
jion_wansu

Post by jion_wansu »

this is off topic but has anyone found out a way to use/enable cheats online with the later MAMEs like 0.117 0.119, etc? You can enable cheats online via 0.64 like Noob Saibot in UMK3 and the MOE30W codes in UMK3.
ihapoi

Post by ihapoi »

if a char is moving forward it is faster then when it is moving backwards.
Also when a character is moving directly against an other character moving speed gets reduced.

**edit

Does someone remember if the MKII board had a fpu on it ?
ihapoi

Post by ihapoi »

omegared37 wrote:Incredible never thought about them being NPCs, although that would easily explain how CPU's always gain higher move priority, ability to throw, and every other cheap technique in the book.
that is because the AI gets to see the event that your input caused even before you see the first frame of your move.