[mk2] Mortal Kombat II (rev L3.1) WIP

This forum is for posting M.A.M.E. Work In Progress "Arcade"cheats that are not quite ready for the prime time. If the cheats are buggy or the cheat descriptions are non-standard then please post them here. Help maybe given but there are no guarantees and they will only be added to the cheat file when the cheat file maintainer is happy with them.
NotAGoodName

Re: [mk2] Mortal Kombat II (rev L3.1) WIP

Post by NotAGoodName »

It may be possible to use conditions to prevent the game from crashing instead of using F6. I had to do this with UMK3.
Aww yeah. AMD A10-7850K givin' MAME and MESS systems what for.
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

NotAGoodName wrote:It may be possible to use conditions to prevent the game from crashing instead of using F6. I had to do this with UMK3.
Yep, I plan to get around to doing that when I have more available time to work on it (family life eats all my free time up atm). As for now, F6 is the best available option until I do get these fixes in place. If you (or Pugsy) wish to help with this aspect of the cheat then feel free to do so.
Bored? Watch some of my hacks here.
NotAGoodName

Post by NotAGoodName »

Abystus wrote:
NotAGoodName wrote:It may be possible to use conditions to prevent the game from crashing instead of using F6. I had to do this with UMK3.
Yep, I plan to get around to doing that when I have more available time to work on it (family life eats all my free time up atm). As for now, F6 is the best available option until I do get these fixes in place. If you (or Pugsy) wish to help with this aspect of the cheat then feel free to do so.
I might look at it tomorrow. I don't have a lot of free time, either. :(

Thanks for your massive progress so far, btw.

*edit*
Welp, that was easy. Exact same idea as UMK3. Prevent the game from knowing you're a normally unselected character prior to actual gameplay and you're good to go.

Code: Select all

<cheat desc="Select Character PL1">
    <parameter>
      <item value="0x00">Kung Lao</item>
      <item value="0x01">Liu Kang</item>
      <item value="0x02">Cage</item>
      <item value="0x03">Baraka</item>
      <item value="0x04">Kitana</item>
      <item value="0x05">Mileena</item>
      <item value="0x06">Shang Tsung</item>
      <item value="0x07">Raiden</item>
      <item value="0x08">Sub-Zero</item>
      <item value="0x09">Reptile</item>
      <item value="0x0A">Scorpion</item>
      <item value="0x0B">Jax</item>
      <item value="0x0C">##Kintaro (CPU Only - Human Control will crash game)</item>
      <item value="0x0D">##Shao Kahn (CPU Only - Human Control will crash game)</item>
      <item value="0x0E">#Smoke</item>
      <item value="0x0F">#Noob Saibot</item>
      <item value="0x10">#Jade</item>
    </parameter>
    <script state="run">
      <action condition="maincpu.pb@01030FC0 GT 0B">maincpu.pb@1060280=param</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>
Use the same condition for player 2. Technically, you could integrate the secret character hack into this cheat.
Parallax MKChile

Post by Parallax MKChile »

This video is showing errors when asked to hidden characters fatality, this video is long before the amendment made ​​abystus their characters, not if my videos have helped but it's my contribution to these people who do the hack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlPZSnUuNz4

I hope you solve abystus XD
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

NotAGoodName wrote: Welp, that was easy. Exact same idea as UMK3. Prevent the game from knowing you're a normally unselected character prior to actual gameplay and you're good to go.

Use the same condition for player 2. Technically, you could integrate the secret character hack into this cheat.
Well currently the character select is a different cheat entirely (as you know), and I think that check should just be added to the current cheat that is present in the collection already (uses the exact same address and cheat structure). Does this resolve the character select, versus screen, and ending issues (sorry I'm at work or I would test)? My cheat is just designed to flesh out the hidden characters with player controllable moves, fatalities, etc... and I do believe the option for changing characters should remain separate (as you have it there at least until I can get everything working smoothly), but I do see how they would fit together nicely. Thanks for taking a look into it.

Edit:

Seems to work correctly for the character select screen, though it doesn't handle versus screens or the endings (needs more conditionals). I think I will end up making work around scripts for most of this though eventually in the rom (most likely the next thing I correct). Again, thanks for having a look into it.
Parallax MKChile wrote:This video is showing errors when asked to hidden characters fatality, this video is long before the amendment made ​​abystus their characters, not if my videos have helped but it's my contribution to these people who do the hack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlPZSnUuNz4

I hope you solve abystus XD
Thanks for the video (I also got this video from CLE via email a few days ago). I will be looking into resolving these when I get a bit of time to sit down with the code. Overall, I've already accomplished what I set out to do with this hack, though making all of that working as well would be the icing on the cake (along with Smoke's smoke).
NotAGoodName

Post by NotAGoodName »

I didn't think the VS screen would be a problem. I should have tested that. :(
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

For anyone interested, I've made some progress with Smoke's "smoke". It is very far from completion, but this just may be doable... A short video of the progress can be found here.
NotAGoodName wrote:I didn't think the VS screen would be a problem. I should have tested that. :(
No problem man, I've been there. If it comes down to it not working in certain places I'll just modify the rom to do what I want. Thanks again.
Parallax MKChile

Excellent progress not tell where you got that smoke, but that's what I thought. Can you make "smoke" has more smoke?
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

Parallax MKChile wrote:Excellent progress not tell where you got that smoke, but that's what I thought. Can you make "smoke" has more smoke?
This is based on a video I saw of yours yesterday (believe you uploaded it then as well) of Shao Kahn being defeated. As you know, you can spawn more smoke if needed by calling this routine again (creates a separate thread), though the routine does have some issues I'm trying to correct now (the shaking, locked controls, end of round despawn, etc...). I've had the idea to take the "smoke" this way before (also Raiden's fatality which CLE mentioned), but wanted to attempt doing it the real way first (this proved very difficult). More "smoke" is possible to produce, though isn't this the amount he has normally? I should have something working soon that can be included in the original cheat, but I need time to iron the bugs out. Thanks for making me look at using this method again :).
Last edited by Abystus on Fri May 02, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parallax MKChile

no problem, besides the video you made of that smoke was the "smoke" that was when I knew there was won by shao kahn.

And the smoke is more of a joke, because it wanted to go with more smoke and were more real, this smoke is also more similar to UMK3 Smoke item if you do not worry ajajajajaja :)
omegared37

Post by omegared37 »

Just a thought Abystus. Using these same principals do you have any interest in making Vanilla MK3 Kano Noob Saibot playable?
If you were a hotdog and you were starving would you eat yourself-Hary Kary
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

omegared37 wrote:Just a thought Abystus. Using these same principals do you have any interest in making Vanilla MK3 Kano Noob Saibot playable?
Since he uses Kano's sprite recolored black, then it may be possible to extract the controls from Kano for use with Noob Saibot (while retaining his special attributes). This may also in turn give Noob Saibot the ability to use some of Kano's moves. I may give it a try when I finally get this current cheat under control.
k00l_3

Post by k00l_3 »

@ Abystus It's amazing what you have done with these cheats! Mad respect !

I wanted to know if it was possible if you could create a cheat that would give a male ninja character all the male ninja special moves (sub-zero,scorpion,reptile) that would be insane!

Is it also possible to allow characters to have "shadows" ala Johnny Cage's Shadow kick like the agressor mode from MK Trilogy as seen in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7pMfS5 ... lpage#t=51

Thanks again for your hard work.
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

k00l_3 wrote:@ Abystus It's amazing what you have done with these cheats! Mad respect !

I wanted to know if it was possible if you could create a cheat that would give a male ninja character all the male ninja special moves (sub-zero,scorpion,reptile) that would be insane!

Is it also possible to allow characters to have "shadows" ala Johnny Cage's Shadow kick like the agressor mode from MK Trilogy as seen in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7pMfS5 ... lpage#t=51

Thanks again for your hard work.
Thanks. Swappable movesets could be done, but it would take a good bit of work hooking inputs (figure it would be a particular button combination to change to a new ninja moveset similar to Shang Tsung morphs), along with making sure that is only applied to the ninjas (this is relatively easy as it is just checking the character your playing as). As for the Johnny Cage shadowing, I'm sure if I was able to find the routine that turns on the shadowing, it could most likely be applied to any character for the entire round. I will see what I can find with the second request when I get back to hacking this game (taking a break atm for family life heh).
nobunaga

Post by nobunaga »

Hi,
I wanted to share some info about the cheat - "remove stage restriction for bosses and hidden characters" - it works well, until you reach kintaro and shao kahn, their stages are not "kahn's arena", but are the next stage after "kombat tomb" which is "the wasteland" for kintaro and "the tower" for shao kahn.
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

nobunaga wrote:Hi,
I wanted to share some info about the cheat - "remove stage restriction for bosses and hidden characters" - it works well, until you reach kintaro and shao kahn, their stages are not "kahn's arena", but are the next stage after "kombat tomb" which is "the wasteland" for kintaro and "the tower" for shao kahn.
I see nothing wrong with the code. You do battle with these characters on whatever the stages are following the previously played on stage, which is working as I intended. Check this video out as it goes to Kahn's Arena during normal play because it is next in line after the portal. Check this video out as it moves to the Tower for Kintaro and the Living Forest for Shao Kahn. If the last stage before Kintaro were the Portal stage, then you would fight Kintaro on Kahn's Arena. It all depends on what stage is before the fight as the code allows them to progress through stages like normal characters, and not remain fixed to "their" stage. As the cheat name says, it applies to both secret characters and bosses.
Last edited by Abystus on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nobunaga

Post by nobunaga »

Abystus wrote:
nobunaga wrote:Hi,
I see nothing wrong with the code. You do battle with these characters on whatever the stages are following the previously played on stage, which is working as I intended. Check this video out as it goes to Kahn's Arena during normal play because it is next in line after the portal. Check this video out as it moves to the Tower for Kintaro and the Living Forest for Shao Kahn. If the last stage before Kintaro were the Portal stage, then you would fight Kintaro on Kahn's Arena. It all depends on what stage is before the fight as the code allows them to progress through stages like normal characters, and not remain fixed to "their" stage. As the cheat name says, it is applies to both secret characters and bosses.

Oh ok then :)
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

Updated cheat to version 1.2 (Beta). This update should now start Smoke's smoke properly at the beginning of the round when under player control for either player. It will vanish at the end of the round, or during fatality time until I can get a fix in place (gotta find what is turning it off). This currently works only while fighting on the Goro's Lair stage due to the player object structure address being changed per stage (pointer) they play on, but I'll iron that out later. Test it out, let me know if there are any problems.
nobunaga

Post by nobunaga »

Abystus wrote:Updated cheat to version 1.2 (Beta). This update should now start Smoke's smoke properly at the beginning of the round when under player control for either player. It will vanish at the end of the round, or during fatality time until I can get a fix in place (gotta find what is turning it off). This currently works only while fighting on the Goro's Lair stage due to the player object structure address being changed per stage (pointer) they play on, but I'll iron that out later. Test it out, let me know if there are any problems.

Excellent work !! I tested it out works fine on Goro's lair, will test more backgrounds.
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

Version 1.2 is now out of the beta stage as Smoke's smoke is now working correctly at the start of every match on any stage, and will also persist through fatality time and end of round. This was accomplished by finally being able to hook the CPU routine once I learned the exact parameters it was looking for. Let me know if there are any issues (I've tested quite a bit, but then again I'm only one person).
nobunaga wrote: Excellent work !! I tested it out works fine on Goro's lair, will test more backgrounds.
Thanks for testing it. Give the final revision of 1.2 a shot and let me know what you think.