Tekken series move/animation IDs

This forum is for posting M.A.M.E. Work In Progress "Arcade"cheats that are not quite ready for the prime time. If the cheats are buggy or the cheat descriptions are non-standard then please post them here. Help maybe given but there are no guarantees and they will only be added to the cheat file when the cheat file maintainer is happy with them.
Heihachi_73

Tekken series move/animation IDs

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Edited to put Tekken 1, 2 and 3 and Tag in the same page (all games have similar cheats). It is possible that the Soul series also follows the same format.

For now, I've only looked at the parent set [tekken], but it should be easy to duplicate for each clone.

The time I've been offline I've been fiddling around with the Tekken series in MAME 0.117 (now finally updated).

Looking at 264948, 265950 and 266600 in RAM, these locations display a 32-bit number, seemingly a pointer for the animation data - animation, position of character and maybe collision. On the player 2 side, they're at 265978, 265980 and 266690.

Adding these three identical values and turning them on makes the character do the move in a looped fashion.

Info of moves can be found here. You'll also find Tekken 2 (Ver.A only) and Tekken 3 (Ver.B only) on the site.

If someone is interested, maybe we could try to find what drives these moves and somehow assign them to a cheat. One problem I've thought of is, unlike Street Fighter II, Tekken relies heavily on combination attacks, rather than single special moves (like a hadouken or shoryuken). The animations only display each individual move though, so a move can be cancelled, so a 3 hit combo like Michelle's 'G-Clef Cannon' has 3 different animations for each punch in this case, but you can of course only do 1 or 2 punches by not inputting the extra button(s).

I wouldn't mind making a small move list cheat, which only has the special/unblockable and complex moves (like Nina's 'Back Hand Slap' multi-part combo), and the 10 hit combos for new/intermediate players who seem to have a bit of trouble with timing and 'perfect' button hammering!

For instance, setting the three above addresses to 0x80114DD0, your character (anyone) will perform a Yoshimitsu sword stab, in a looped fashion if it's kept on. However, it won't do anything as it's just the animation. Your opponent won't lose half their energy and fall over (with the 0x80102D10 animation). We need the part before it - the trigger, and some magic for the combos, which need sequential button presses for each part of the move (e.g. back, back, left punch for this move), which the cheat engine may or may not be able to currently do.

Update: Setting some sort of activation key might be the only way do this, leaving the MAMEr madly hitting these keys instead and making it totally useless. It might only be useful for 'easy' multi part combo cheats in Tekken 2 (e.g. King's Standing Heel Hold -> Indian Death Lock -> King's Bridge - f,d/f+2+3, 1+2,1,3,1+2+4, 1+2,3,4,1+2,1+2+3+4 - try madly hitting that on a keyboard(!) in the short time span during each move). Luckily I have the Dual Action controller and access to the 'P' key! ;)

Each button press is detected in approximately the first 3-5 frames, counting on/off style (tap 1) and on/hold styles (hold 1, then hit 2 while still holding 1 (1+2)).

It still isn't the one button -alities as you would find on the console versions of Mortal Kombat. It would be really nice to have one button 10-hit combos though!

Edit 18/05/2012: Updated info on pointers.
Last edited by Heihachi_73 on Thu May 17, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heihachi_73

Re: Tekken series move/animation IDs

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Now that a certain Tag team game is running as of MAME 0.131, I thought I might put a slight update, but unfortunately, I am utterly useless with the new cheat format, so someone else might have to take over here.

I fired up Cheat Engine instead and came across the move anims for tektagta - Player 1 move anims are offset at A33EFD8, A33EFE0, A3406E4 and A340988, maybe someone with knowledge can convert them to the new ASM style format...

Xiaoyu's default stance is 80036908, and each move anim is seemingly separated by values of 0x34 (e.g. the next move value is 8003693C; this one is Heihachi's stance). If someone can find those numbers in MAME, that would be really useful. Of course, getting the animations to actually work as moves would be the best thing, but as seen with the other games, I haven't got any idea what to look for (a trigger perhaps?).
Last edited by Heihachi_73 on Thu May 17, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mohsin

Post by Mohsin »

This is pretty much easy with street fighter games, where even we can by adjusting the timing and key binding using the older cheat engine, its the same thing which i was trying to attempt with pgm games like knights of valor & oriental legend to play with every character present in the game and perform easy combos, but i cant figure out every code for every character. i worked out a little in nebula, but mame gives head aches. its not impossible what you are trying to achieve, but rather annoying since there are 80+ moves for king alone(120+ in tekken5), take a example of a 10 hit combo, it will be required to update the ram 10 times for 10 different animations using correct timing, u can guess what i mean. easier way will be to delay the time frame needed for the next key being pressed & have a easy combo rather than going through all of this.
Thats not a game hack

http://mamec.netii.net/
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

That's what got me stumped in the first place. MAME didn't have an ability to 'time' cheats to a large amount of frames for combos and the like.

I agree there's too many moves to actually make cheats for, but the only ones I was thinking about doing was the chain throws (King, Nina etc); swapping the button combinations with a single key would be great for the cheat file. In Tekken 2, this would mainly be King's Reverse Arm Slam and Standing Heel Hold combos, Nina/Anna's Back Hand Slap combos and Bruce's throws which I can't remember for the time being.

For instance, King's Standing Heel Hold - Indian Death Lock - King's Bridge in Tekken 2 would be changed from:
(f,d/f+2+3) (1+2,1,3,1+2+4) (1+2,3,4,1+2,1+2+3+4)
to something like 'J', 'K', 'L' on the keyboard with the cheats enabled.
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

Heihachi_73 wrote:Update: Setting some sort of activation key might be the only way do this, leaving the MAMEr madly hitting these keys instead and making it totally useless. It might only be useful for 'easy' multi part combo cheats in Tekken 2 (e.g. King's Standing Heel Hold -> Indian Death Lock -> King's Bridge - f,d/f+2+3, 1+2,1,3,1+2+4, 1+2,3,4,1+2,1+2+3+4 - try madly hitting that on a keyboard(!) in the short time span during each move). Luckily I have the Dual Action controller and access to the 'P' key! ;)

Each button press is detected in approximately the first 3-5 frames, counting on/off style (tap 1) and on/hold styles (hold 1, then hit 2 while still holding 1 (1+2)).

It still isn't the one button -alities as you would find on the console versions of Mortal Kombat. It would be really nice to have one button 10-hit combos though!

You should be able to do this with the new cheat engine with just RAM cheats, more or less and it would be pretty simple. You just need to find the input address for the controller (maybe get it from the driver source) and the values of the keypresses. You then just use it with the 'frame' condition sequentially so for example it would poke UP at frame 3, DOWN at frame 6, L+R at FRAME 9 etc. At the moment there's no activation keys so you'd have to toggle an OFF/ON cheat from Off to On and subsequently On to Off to On...no biggie.
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.259 XML cheat collection (6 OCTOBER 2023) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/q4dHGZ6K#i-EUiqIjH ... KMz7hnbTfw (ZIP Archive 3.76MB)
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

Couldn't do it with 'frame' but it will work with temp.

From the driver for tekken2 (namcos11.c) we have:-

Code: Select all

PORT_START( "PLAYER1" )
	PORT_BIT( 0x0100, IP_ACTIVE_HIGH, IPT_JOYSTICK_RIGHT ) PORT_8WAY
	PORT_BIT( 0x0200, IP_ACTIVE_HIGH, IPT_JOYSTICK_LEFT ) PORT_8WAY
	PORT_BIT( 0x0400, IP_ACTIVE_HIGH, IPT_JOYSTICK_DOWN ) PORT_8WAY
	PORT_BIT( 0x0800, IP_ACTIVE_HIGH, IPT_JOYSTICK_UP ) PORT_8WAY
	PORT_BIT( 0x1000, IP_ACTIVE_HIGH, IPT_BUTTON1 )
	PORT_BIT( 0x2000, IP_ACTIVE_HIGH, IPT_BUTTON2 )
	PORT_BIT( 0x4000, IP_ACTIVE_HIGH, IPT_BUTTON3 )
	PORT_BIT( 0x8000, IP_ACTIVE_HIGH, IPT_START1 )
So all we have do do to find the address (in mame0126) is to open up the search to the more obscure memory addresses. Not press anything, search for 0. Hold down DOWN and pause and continue search for 04 - we find 1FA0BD03 in no time.

Now all we need to do is poke the memory address with the value for the key direction, so button 3 is 0x40 and button3+2 together is 0x60. For tekken 2 we need to poke for enough frames for it to register....I found poking it for 5 frames worked.

Here's an example....insert some credits and set it to ON and watch it do it's thing (it's just a demo!).

<cheat desc="Start 1 Player Game, Choose Heitachi + start Now! (Toggle to repeat)">
  	<script state="on">
      <action>temp0=0x00</action> <!-- Init temp1, use to count frames --> 
    </script>
    <script state="run">
      <action condition="(temp0 GT  0x05) AND (temp0 LT  0x0A)">maincpu.pb@1FA0BD03=80</action> <!-- Select 1 Player Game (Insert Credit First) -->
      <action condition="(temp0 GT  0x19) AND (temp0 LT  0x1E)">maincpu.pb@1FA0BD03=01</action> <!-- Right -->
      <action condition="(temp0 GT  0x32) AND (temp0 LT  0x37)">maincpu.pb@1FA0BD03=01</action> <!-- Right -->
      <action condition="(temp0 GT  0x4B) AND (temp0 LT  0x50)">maincpu.pb@1FA0BD03=01</action> <!-- Right -->
      <action condition="(temp0 GT  0x64) AND (temp0 LT  0x69)">maincpu.pb@1FA0BD03=01</action> <!-- Right Heitachi Selected -->
      <action condition="(temp0 GT  0x7D) AND (temp0 LT  0x82)">maincpu.pb@1FA0BD03=10</action> <!-- Press Button 1 --> 
      <action>temp0=temp0+1</action>
      <action condition="temp0 GT 0x3E8">temp0=0x3E8</action> <!-- Stop it incrementing past 1000 frames --> 
    </script>
  </cheat>

Hopefully this information won't innundate the board with fighter easy move cheats....what have I done :(
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.259 XML cheat collection (6 OCTOBER 2023) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/q4dHGZ6K#i-EUiqIjH ... KMz7hnbTfw (ZIP Archive 3.76MB)
Mohsin

Post by Mohsin »

Totally great.
Thats not a game hack

http://mamec.netii.net/
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Sorry I've been away for so long. With those above button cheats, I also made these for Tekken 1 and 2 a long time ago with simple 1+3 and 2+4 button throws in the .dat format, but I didn't include them of course since they weren't of any real use. However, the reason I was trying to find the move code instead is so that characters could perform any move possible in the game, regardless of who it is - for example, instead of having one character's moves for the entire round, you could have (example) Xiaoyu with her normal moves as usual, but with the move cheat triggered she would breathe (True) Ogre's fire on command and return to her moves as though nothing happened! Unfortunately, the closest I ever got to it was those animations at the top of the page.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

As requested recently, here's a recap on Tekken 3 [tekken3ab], replacing Jin's standard Rising Uppercut (Wind Godfist) into an Electric Wind Godfist.

<cheat desc="Jin - Replace Rising Uppercut with Electric Wind Godfist">
    <script state="on">
      <action>maincpu.pw@8ECF8=8003A800</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>
This changes the pointer from initiating the Rising Uppercut from its f,N,d,d/f+2 notation, so the Electric will come out during both a "standard" WGF uppercut as well the traditional (harder) way. The delayed version is not changed.

Just for a bit of fun, this will make Heihachi also perform the EWGF in Tekken 3, despite him only receiving the move in Tekken Tag. :)

<cheat desc="Heihachi - Replace Rising Uppercut with Electric Wind Godfist">
    <script state="on">
      <action>maincpu.pw@9DAD8=8003A800</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Easy Electric Wind Godfist, as requested by Delan (who was apparently unable to post, so he emailed me instead).

Tekken Tag Tournament (US, TEG3/VER.C1)

<cheat desc="Replace Rising Uppercut with Electric Wind Godfist">
    <script state="on">
      <action>maincpu.pw@2A75F4=8004C28C</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>
As an added bonus, this cheat works with not only Jin, but Heihachi, Kazuya, Devil and Angel as well, even though their Rising Uppercuts are different (Heihachi's is straight from Tekken 2, and Kazuya/Devil/Angel's one will flip the opponent in the air on a counter hit). This will have to be an always-on cheat however, as the moves are reset whenever you tag out or win a round.

WARNING: The game will crash (complete with a Namco BSOD) if you attempt to use this cheat with any other character with the same move notation (f,d,d/f+2), namely Armor King (ironically, Armor King used to have a Rising Uppercut in Tekken 1 and 2 but it was changed when he made his TTT comeback). Additionally, when the game crashes, you cannot reset it with F3, it will just stay at the test pattern in an infinite loop, so you will have to close MAME and start it again.