MK2 Smoke's Smoke

This forum is for posting M.A.M.E. Work In Progress "Arcade"cheats that are not quite ready for the prime time. If the cheats are buggy or the cheat descriptions are non-standard then please post them here. Help maybe given but there are no guarantees and they will only be added to the cheat file when the cheat file maintainer is happy with them.
Abystus

MK2 Smoke's Smoke

Post by Abystus »

I've noticed while playing that if you choose "Smoke" even without another players move-set as a player controlled character he will not smoke, so this has to be tied to a CPU trigger that is turned on when the character is computer controlled. I'm unsure if you can turn on the smoke without enabling the CPU control. I'm thinking it may be set up as some sort of class of the CPU with maybe a character index case statement in which it grabs an effect based on selected character value the CPU controls. However since the effect is built into the game as a trigger it should be able to be turned on, the same goes with his speed increase. I'm gonna try my hand at trying to enable these characteristics for a human controlled counterpart and also these changes could apply to characters that are not "Smoke" or that normally do not produce puffs of smoke. I originally thought that they were built into the actual characters move-set however this just can't be because of what I described above. If anyone wants to help please post any progress here.
Bored? Watch some of my hacks here.
CLE

Re: MK2 Smoke's Smoke

Post by CLE »

It had very good if someone get this cheat for appear Smoke's smoke, get Smoke speed and get Jade' restriction. But I think this "speciais", is possible only to CPU, unfortunatly.

The same goes for message "Reptile Wins!!" in mk1. Appears only when CPU is using Reptile.

But is worth try find this cheats. :wink:
CLE

Post by CLE »

Look this topic.

Mortal Kombat 2 Walking Speed modifier.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2990

It can help. :wink:
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

Thanks for the reply. I would think that smoke's smoke would fall into the category of an effect where as his speed would just be an alteration of the characters movement speed. Take for instance when you get hit by Kang's fireball you have a stream of smoke coming from your character, if walking backwards and hit by the fireball then if you move forward while the smoke is still present it follows your character. There are many categories that his smoke could also fall under that may be out of our control when attempting to do it on a non CPU controlled character however I'm not sure if they would have went into that much depth when creating this effect. Needless to say if its a triggered effect based on CPU control it should have a switch for on/off that the cpu smoke accesses during play, also finding this address could lead to effects that were left in the game that were not used anywhere in their released build (Ex: Hidden characters, moves that would produce an effect.. Programmers are lazy sometimes and its usually more work to take something out then to just cover it up).

At the moment I'm wondering what the hell happened to the Mame cheat engine as it does not appear in my version of Mame, however I can see the cheat menu with said cheats to enable. The version of Mame I'm using is MameUi64 0.132u3 but I understand that the cheat engine may have broke with the implementation of the new cheat format. If anyone has a clue about this or if I need to roll back to an earlier version to perform a hack please let me know. My debugger however is in good standing in this version... go figure lol.
CLE

Post by CLE »

Yes, really, I don't thought in smoke after Liu Kang's fireball.

But, I think is very hard discovery this address. You have very knowledge to find this cheats?

Well, would very interesting discovery how controlling the secrets characters and bosses without game crash. :lol:

And the Mame Cheat Engine question, I think if you return to previous version is best. :wink:
NotAGoodName

Post by NotAGoodName »

Abystus wrote:At the moment I'm wondering what the hell happened to the Mame cheat engine as it does not appear in my version of Mame, however I can see the cheat menu with said cheats to enable. The version of Mame I'm using is MameUi64 0.132u3 but I understand that the cheat engine may have broke with the implementation of the new cheat format. If anyone has a clue about this or if I need to roll back to an earlier version to perform a hack please let me know. My debugger however is in good standing in this version... go figure lol.
Go here. Download newest XML cheat collection. Install as shown. Win.

As for Smoke's smoke, I've never looked at any of the Mortal Kombat games, but something I've seen done in a lot of games is the presence of an event byte. This address would dictate the execution of an event such "throw this fireball" or "fall down" and it should usually change when you do attacks, but not always make sense when it does. The problem is that the event for continuous smoking is probably used once when the round begins, so once you find the address you'll either have to guess or pause emulation once a frame or more to see every value entered.
Aww yeah. AMD A10-7850K givin' MAME and MESS systems what for.
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

I will take a look at that when I get home. It is a possibility that the smoke could be an event as well. As soon as I get home I'll try states of when the round starts and use the debugger to see what goes on during the load of the round, however I noticed that he doesn't start smoking until the word "Fight" disappears so that will probably be my starting point to look at. If anyone else wants to give it a shot go right ahead as this looks to be a very elusive code, however when it is found jades invulnerability will be in a similar spot.

- Abystus
CLE

Post by CLE »

Any progress with the cheats?
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

TBO I'm not really familiar with Mame's debugger, I'm actually trying to find the state of this code using the SNES version because the same rules apply to the character control and when smoke smokes. I'll post here again when I have something to report, btw are you any good with the Mame debugger? I am using the GUI version of Mame with debugger enabled however I find it cumbersome to use.
CLE

Post by CLE »

Really is cumbersome to use and unfortunatly I don't have much experience with Mame debugger.

But I will try get more experience to find this cheats.
NotAGoodName

Post by NotAGoodName »

Ok. I took a look at MK2 in MAME. The hardware is a real piece of work. And by that, I mean it's awful. Just a simple attempt to go to an address doesn't work right. How hackers ever did anything with this game is beyond me.

I didn't find anything for an event-type address. In fact, I didn't find anything really interesting at all. There's about four bytes that blip now and then which possibly pass information to the buffer. The buffer is lengthy and uses something like 8 bytes or so per motion. I didn't really pay that much attention to it because it's useless to me. I doubt that any RAM value pertaining to Smoke's smoke is anywhere close to the known bunch of values for things like health and the like. It's likely bestowed on the CPU player by something in the ROM which checks the player's value during the beginning of the round.

Long story short, this hardware and the game programming method sucks so I give up. Midway should have gone with something more standardized so they wouldn't have to be cheap on ROM space.
Aww yeah. AMD A10-7850K givin' MAME and MESS systems what for.
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

Looks to me like the Smoke is tied to the Smoke Moveset, unless you can play Smoke with the Smoke moveset you are not likely to see any effect.

There is code between FF861D70 to FF861DC0 that loads the A0 register with an address based on the character, shifts and adds to it and then jumps to it...unfortunately unless it's a valid controllable character it will often jump to an area of memory which causes the game to freeze. Change the moveset to another character and you end up with that character's moves which must include the lack of smoke.
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.259 XML cheat collection (6 OCTOBER 2023) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/q4dHGZ6K#i-EUiqIjH ... KMz7hnbTfw (ZIP Archive 3.76MB)
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

That's the funny thing though... If you play as smoke with smokes moveset while he is player controlled he will not smoke. Of course it could be that if smoke is not moving he will not smoke by nature (which is why he is not smoking before the fight screen goes away). You stated that depending on the character chosen it loads an address into the register A0 which then inturn it shifts, adds, then jumps to their specific routine. Is it possible to modify the routine at the address jumped to in (A0) for smokes character to say have the standard moves (punch, kicks, specials) of scorpion and not modify the rest of that routine which would control his smoke? Example:

Code: Select all

private void Smoke_Moveset()
{
   load_standard_moves_smoke();
   load_specials_moves_smoke();
   load_effects_smoke();
}
To:

Code: Select all

private void Smoke_Moveset()
{
   load_standard_moves_scorpion();
   load_specials_moves_scorpion();
   load_effects_smoke();
}
or if your stating that going to a non valid controllable character freezes the game, what if you modified scorpions moveset to include some of smokes moveset. I know what I am talking about is probrably more time than anyone really wants to spend on this, however I'm wondering if it would be possible. I mean I'm sure their moveset is either a structure or a class that is preset, and I'm wondering if these movesets can be modified or even created with a pointer to your created moveset. Thanks for taking the time to look at it everyone.
Last edited by Abystus on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CLE

Post by CLE »

And Smoke's speed and Jade's invulnerability is tied to the Smoke and Jade Moveset or is possible using the cheat?
CLE

Post by CLE »

Any new progress?
omegared37

Post by omegared37 »

Could it be possible that the Smoke smoking effect is a special move that is immediatly used by the CPU as soon as the match starts, and has an effect which last the whole match? That would explain why he doesn't smoke until the match starts. From what I've read about the classic MK games the CPU is really just a spriteset with a list of moves that can be performed thus allowing the CPU to be super cheap, and also allowing them to make a character like Reptile which is just a pallate swap with 2 sets of moves loaded.
If you were a hotdog and you were starving would you eat yourself-Hary Kary
CLE

Post by CLE »

Would very interesting get cheats for Smoke's speed, Smoke's smoke and Jade's invulnerability.

But really seems exclusive function of the CPU.

Unfortunatly...
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

I'd say if its possible at all, it would deal with modifying the move set itself. Doing it this way would be very time consuming, however maybe the move set enables a flag to turn on the smoke. Basically it would be a lot of debugging when the move set actually switches to see what locations were set and actually figuring out which one controlled what. Just because its in a move set does not mean its not accessible, however as I stated before it would take a lot of debugging to find exactly what is changed during the move set selection routine and what flags are set during it. I won't give up on this one, however with my limited knowledge of the mame debugger it appears it may remain in a state of limbo for a while, especially since the asm routines on both the arcade and home editions are not very well written and are very time consuming to debug.
Abystus

Post by Abystus »

Ok taking my own advice I have hacked a similar code for the Snes Mortal Kombat 2 v1.0 and have come up with some valuable information.

- Jade's projectile invincibility and speed are tied to her moveset
- Smoke's smoke is not tied to his moveset, however his speed is
- Noob's speed is tied to his moveset

I have created codes for the SNES that will allow a fully functional Jade/Smoke (Minus his smoke)/Noob to be played for player 1. This code will let these special characters retain all their special attrbutes (Speed/Projectile Immunity, etc..) along with giving them playable controls (along with their standard specials).

The Method:

1) Find the move set modifier code for the given player.
2) Set a break on read from that address
3) Each break you get check the value of the accumulator to see if it corresponds with the character in question value.
4) Modify these addresses to read from a separate memory location to which you can modify the value
5) Modify the value at the given address for their equal: Smoke/Noob = Scorpion, Jade = Kitana (Note this will just pull the moves, not the stance or any other aspect about the given characters move set)

The move set can basically be dissected into sections to pull anything tied to the character in question.

Since speed and projectile immunity are tied to jades move set it could easily be assigned to another characters move set using the method above. I was able to actually pull character stances for Reptile and Scorpion to Sub-Zero using the same method.

Smoke's smoke not being tied to his move set kinda upset me however, but it occurred to me in the previous post that it wasn't. Only when the CPU is in control does he smoke. There appears to be a general flag set for the smoke when the CPU has control of the character which may be able to be traced using the method above on a CPU controlled character. I'll post here if I find anything further about the smoke flag.
CLE

Post by CLE »

Abystus, any progress in this cheats?

Hey, look this hack of mk2 to snes. In this rom hack, is possible play using the Secrets Characters. But exist some bugs.

I think using this mk2 hack of snes, is possible get some ideas (credits to Diego Shark).
http://www.4shared.com/file/213242474/5 ... UMP_B.html