a way to have mame load cheats after loading a rom?

This forum is for posting M.A.M.E. Work In Progress "Arcade"cheats that are not quite ready for the prime time. If the cheats are buggy or the cheat descriptions are non-standard then please post them here. Help maybe given but there are no guarantees and they will only be added to the cheat file when the cheat file maintainer is happy with them.
Nero6

a way to have mame load cheats after loading a rom?

Post by Nero6 »

i noticed that every time i load mame if i load it with cheats it takes forever to start up but if i load it without cheats it bring me to the list of games in a few seconds. is there a way to have mame only load the cheats for the game u select so we can remove this wait? its just an idea and idk if this is the right place to put it but i just thought id try 2 help.
NotAGoodName

Re: a way to have mame load cheats after loading a rom?

Post by NotAGoodName »

Why don't you use a front end like M+GUI?
Aww yeah. AMD A10-7850K givin' MAME and MESS systems what for.
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

I'm guessing you are are using an old version of MAME that uses the .dat format. This delay is therefore unavoidable unless you get a newer version that supports XML format cheats.

I must admit I never noticed the delay myself, but then I never load MAME without cheats.
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.259 XML cheat collection (6 OCTOBER 2023) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/q4dHGZ6K#i-EUiqIjH ... KMz7hnbTfw (ZIP Archive 3.76MB)
Nero6

Post by Nero6 »

it happens on both newer is worse than the old tbh i think it depends on how many roms u have but it shouldnt need 2 load them all before a game is chosen you know?
Lurendrejer

Post by Lurendrejer »

The reason for the long load time is the "massive" zip file containing the xml files.

Unpacking the few files you need into ./cheat makes mame load a lot faster.