SOLVED: Unable to see, use cheats for 0.152

If you are having problems finding or using cheats for an Emulator (particularly MAME/MESS) or have found a trick that you wish to share this is the place to do it. But please read the Cheat FAQ first.
philp

SOLVED: Unable to see, use cheats for 0.152

Post by philp »

There was something about [Tab] which bothered me, so I kept digging until I found out it's the apostrophe ['].

I'm running 0.152, have modified .ini to 1, verified I can see the cheat setting on/off via F6.

I haven't played with MAME in several years, so this is the first time it's been installed on this box.

What I can't see is anything when I press [Tab] - I've tried several games.

Cheat.7z is in the same directory as mame.exe & mame64.exe (I've verified I'm running 0.152 of both .EXEs).

And I'm running Windows 7/64.

One thing different about this machine - and one would hope it's irrelevant: there's no sound card, so I'm getting an error from MAME: "Error creating DirectSound: 88780078"

Suggestions?

Thanks!

update: I'm sure some have had a laugh about not having a sound card and getting that error - I'm not looking to correct that - I know an error in this case should be expected. What I'm seeking is seeing cheats and being able to use them.

(Now, stop laughing) ;)
Last edited by philp on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pugsy

Re: Unable to see, use cheats for 0.152

Post by Pugsy »

Well I use 7/64 and I have no problems.

Only thing I can suggest is the cheatpath is wrong or missing.

Do you have this line in your ini:-

cheatpath cheat

If not add it.

Failing that I suggest copying mame.exe and cheat.7z to a new dir
and run mame.exe -cc
and then edit the ini that will now be in that new directory to point at your roms and set the two cheat settings.
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.259 XML cheat collection (6 OCTOBER 2023) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/q4dHGZ6K#i-EUiqIjH ... KMz7hnbTfw (ZIP Archive 3.76MB)