Transfer Cheats to Earlier Build of MAME

If you are having problems finding or using cheats for an Emulator (particularly MAME/MESS) or have found a trick that you wish to share this is the place to do it. But please read the Cheat FAQ first.
Smoker1

Transfer Cheats to Earlier Build of MAME

Post by Smoker1 »

Slight problem with MAME4Droid (0.139u1)
Using the matching Version of Cheats, they work perfectly. But if I take any other XML Files and try to Update them, the Cheat does not show up, like there are no Cheats.
I have tried just taking a XML File from Current to the 139 Cheats
I have tried using the current Cheat.7z (but took all the Cheats and put into a .zip)

Are the XML Files different in Format from 0.139u1 than 0.174 or any other later Builds????
Pugsy

Re: Transfer Cheats to Earlier Build of MAME

Post by Pugsy »

There are no major format changes between 0.139 and 0.174....some cheats won't work with 0.139 games but it will only affect a few games.

Are you sure you are making a .zip file and not for instance a .7z file with a .zip extension?

I always zipped the cheat.zip with the lowest compression level (STORE)...perhaps you are compressing it with a compression level that isn't supported by MAME4Droid? Try the lowest level in 7zip and make sure it's a zip archive.

Also make sure that there are no folders inside the zip file...
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.259 XML cheat collection (6 OCTOBER 2023) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/q4dHGZ6K#i-EUiqIjH ... KMz7hnbTfw (ZIP Archive 3.76MB)
Smoker1

Post by Smoker1 »

No. I open both and transfer one to the other. For example
Cheat.7z (From 0.173 XML File) ---->>>> Cheat.zip(0.139 to Replace/Update XML File)

As for your Suggestion, will try it and see how it works then post
Smoker1

Post by Smoker1 »

Ok, I extracted ALL the Files in their own Directory, Deleted the Folders and then the .7z Cheat File. Then Highlighted ALL the XML Files, Right-Click, Add to Archive, Select ZIP, Compression method to Store.
Result: Working Cheats.......except for Mortal Kombat 1-U
Searched through Mortal Kombat 1, II (Chal as well). Thinking the Mortal Kombat Games wont work with them. They show up for Street Fighter Games, Tekken, Simpsons 2p, and XMenCOTA and Fighter's History. But ALL the Mortal Kombat Games, the Cheat Option wont come up for some reason.

Edit: Oh but for some reason MK4 Cheats show up. Go figure. LOL