[btoads] Cheats no longer working in 0.193?

If you are having problems finding or using cheats for an Emulator (particularly MAME/MESS) or have found a trick that you wish to share this is the place to do it. But please read the Cheat FAQ first.
austinwolfclaw

[btoads] Cheats no longer working in 0.193?

Post by austinwolfclaw »

So i upgraded mame from 0.191 to the lates 0.193. In 191, cheats in Battletoads worked fine, but after the update to .193 it no longer works, no infinite lives, no inf energy. Can anyone look into the situation and see what had changed between these two versions?

Also, hello, I'm new. Hope i'm posting this issue in the right forum section...
Pugsy

Re: [btoads] Cheats no longer working in 0.193?

Post by Pugsy »

The addresses for btoads need to multiplied by 8.

This has affected other games as well that use the 34010 & 34020 like various mk games and narc

However, it doesn't seem to be have done correctly/completely as regards cheats. I think it was changed to address the odd memory system for those games..

As an example NARC was fine as regards the memory system and the debugger expressions (used for cheats)

"wp 100B7E0,1,w" would work fine (lives poke)
and you could see the value in the memory window for 100B7E0
and you could change it by typing
maincpu.pb@100B7E0=6

so all was good

but now you have to change the memory with
maincpu.pb@(100B7E0*8)=6
or
maincpu.pb@805BF00=6

I will hold fire before changing anything in the cheat collection as it will be a LOT of work, and I haven't any time at the moment especially for something that may change again...
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.259 XML cheat collection (6 OCTOBER 2023) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/q4dHGZ6K#i-EUiqIjH ... KMz7hnbTfw (ZIP Archive 3.76MB)
Neko Ed

Post by Neko Ed »

Scratch this. It was a bug on our end after all. Nothing SHOULD need to be changed, but we'll try to keep you up to date. Cheats files should work properly once again in 0.194.
Neko Ed

Post by Neko Ed »

Checked NARC, the stock cheat files are indeed working again. No changes should be necessary.