SOLVED Running MAME OSX (all versions) on Mavericks. Can't get cheats to appear on any version. Help needed

If you are having problems finding or using cheats for an Emulator (particularly MAME/MESS) or have found a trick that you wish to share this is the place to do it. But please read the Cheat FAQ first.
luca9583

SOLVED Running MAME OSX (all versions) on Mavericks. Can't get cheats to appear on any version. Help needed

Post by luca9583 »

I've tried running various versions of Mame OSX on Mavericks which all work fine.

However, while trying to set up cheats the following problems occur:

0.116 is the only version that has the cheats option appear in the tab while Mame OSX is running, but it always says the cheat database is missing even if i'm using the correct cheat.zip file.

All other versions of Mame OSX, including the very last version released, crash while loading all games if cheat enable is selected in Mame OSX's preferences.

Is there a reliable combination of a Mame OSX version and it's corresponding cheat.zip file that will definitely work in Mavericks?

I've also read conflicting instructions in various forums on which exact .zip file should be placed in the Application Support/Mame OSX folder. Is it simply the corresponding version .zip file, eg cheat116.zip, or a renamed version of that as cheat.dat.zip or a renamed verison of that as cheat.zip? Also should the chat.dat file also be in the directory or should it be either the .dat file or the .zip file?
luca9583

Re: SOLVED Running MAME OSX (all versions) on Mavericks. Can't get cheats to appear on any version. Help needed

Post by luca9583 »

SOLVED. I stupidly was looking in the wrong application support folder. It needs to be the application support folder at USER level, not top level!

I installed .0124 and used the cheat123.zip file

The correct method is to unzip the cheat123.zip file and then place the unzipped cheat.dat file into the MAME OSX directory. Works perfectly.