MESS 0.152...

If you are having problems finding or using cheats for an Emulator (particularly MAME/MESS) or have found a trick that you wish to share this is the place to do it. But please read the Cheat FAQ first.
Stl75

MESS 0.152...

Post by Stl75 »

Hello to all...

I installed - MESSUI 0.152...
And wanted - set to cheat mode -
in NES, Sega MD, Super Nintendo...

Copy cheats files -
to MESS directories, in which has mess.exe file...

Add cheats paths - in mess.ini,
nes.ini, megadriv.ini...

writeconfig 0
cheatpath cheat_megadriv
cheat 1

Enable cheats in MESS - emulator GUI...

After - run Sega MD game - into MESS...
How is activated cheats in MESS?
Heihachi_73

Re: MESS 0.152...

Post by Heihachi_73 »

It should be exactly the same method as MAME but with an additional parameter for the game cartridge. I don't know what MAMEUI or MESSUI does in the background but with the normal command line MAME/MESS (and MAMEUI/MESSUI) they all work the same way from the command line. Unless your Mega Drive cheats are actually in a directory called cheat_megadriv, this could be why they're not loading, the default is cheat\megadriv, e.g. cheat\megadriv\sonic.xml for Sonic 1 cheats if they are uncompressed rather than being in the cheat.7z file in the cheat directory.

Command line options are the same with all versions of MAME/MESS:

Pac-Man (arcade)
mame pacman -cheat

Sonic 1 (software list)
mame genesis sonic -cheat

Sonic 1 (zip file)
mame genesis -cart "roms\megadriv\Sonic the Hedgehog (JUE).zip" -cheat

Note that MESSUI 0.152 is getting close to ten years old and a lot of things have changed since then. MESS was integrated into MAME six years ago, so you would be better off downloading the latest official version of MAME (www.mamedev.org) or MAMEUI (www.mameui.info) unless you're using a PC from the turn of the millennium which can't handle anything newer. Note that MAME is officially 64-bit only these days, so if you are stuck with a 32-bit operating system you will be stuck with 0.217 unless you compile it from the source code.
Stl75

Re: MESS 0.152...

Post by Stl75 »

Thanks...

I understand...
Installed MAME0.232...
I be a try,,,