Problem with cheats emulating MSX in MAME

If you are having problems finding or using cheats for an Emulator (particularly MAME/MESS) or have found a trick that you wish to share this is the place to do it. But please read the Cheat FAQ first.
Morera

Problem with cheats emulating MSX in MAME

Post by Morera »

Hello my first post, greetings to all and thanks in advance.

I'm emulating system MSX with MAME and I don't know what happens with cheats:

MSX1 emulated, system ROM 'hb20p.zip'. Game rom loaded '1942.zip'
Command to RUN -> MAME64.exe hb20p -cart1 "path to roms MSX\1942.zip"
There is one cheat file for the system MSX at the root of cheat.7z called hb20p.xml
Cheat for game 1942 is inside the cheat.7z file in \msx1_cart\1942.xml (the only cheat complete there is for MSX games, and is OK).
The cheats works and are fine in that file but they do not appear to me, instead it appears "This non-arcade system has been added during the amalgamation of MESS into MAME. If there is a softwarelist with games in, then cheats may well appear when you load the game." This correspond to hb20p.xml of ROM of system MSX 'hb20p.zip', not to the rom of game '1942.zip' . :o
I know the cheat is fine, I copy the content from 1942.xml to hb20p.xml and it works perfectly, but I need to discriminate game ROMs, not system ROM, which is one for all game ROMs.

Any idea how to make the game cheat appear instead of the system cheat??. I then want to add to the empty files that are inside the folder \msx1_cart\roms.XML the cheats that interest me, but I can't discriminate by games. And if there is a place to download those XML from MSX, they are welcome :D .

Thank you very much to all.
jman

Re: Problem with cheats emulating MSX in MAME

Post by jman »

Try "mame hb20p 1942" (What version do you use? because mame64.exe no longer exists in official package).

or

Use internal UI (select hb20p -> 1942).

I confirm that the cheat code for 1942 is loaded by the above way.
Morera

Re: Problem with cheats emulating MSX in MAME

Post by Morera »

Ok, thank you very much for answering, finally some light, this was driving me crazy since I saw in some old post of some forum that had to be called with the command that I put the other day and it works, except for the cheats. I have version 0.206 of MAME and the final intention is to launch from the RocketLauncher, for which I have already modified the AHK for MAME and I have it up and running, everything OK at last.

I comment some things I have seen, in case it helps someone:
The names of the MSX ROMS, to emulate with MAME, must be 'squared' with the names that are in the file hash\msx1_cart.xml, for example the KNIGHTMARE ROM must be called KNIGHTMR.ZIP, a big drawback since I have a pack of the BlueMSX and many have other names, from what I see, there is no choice but to rename.

A curiosity:
MAME.INI -> rompath roms; bios (MSX system in BIOS\HB20P.ZIP)
HB20P.INI -> rompath msxroms (game Knightmare in MSXROMS\KNIGHTMR.ZIP)

cmd 'MAME HB20P KNIGHTMR' -> OK, it works.
From the MAME UI, error, can't find the MSX ROM, little bug ?.

Another issue is the audio that sounds low, even raising the Speaker AY-3-8910 control to full and the volume to full, it sounds low, I do not know if it can be increase in some other way.

Thanks again.