Code search causes the problem on System 16B/18

If you are having problems finding or using cheats for an Emulator (particularly MAME/MESS) or have found a trick that you wish to share this is the place to do it. But please read the Cheat FAQ first.
ShimaPong

Code search causes the problem on System 16B/18

Post by ShimaPong »

After the major update for sega system 16B or 18, a code search causes the problems. Because selectable memory area is only on $000000-$ffffff (all memory area). The search speed is too slow and sometimes MAME seemes to freeze.

I wish I could freely customized the search memory area, for example $1234-$5678.

Anyway if you hope to add other search memory area where is unselectable in the selection menu, fix the source file and recompile.

Code: Select all

-- For example : In src/drivers/segasys18.c --
static ADDRESS_MAP_START( system18_map, ADDRESS_SPACE_PROGRAM, 16 )
	ADDRESS_MAP_FLAGS( AMEF_UNMAP(1) )
	AM_RANGE(0x000000, 0xffffff) AM_READWRITE(segaic16_memory_mapper_lsb_r, segaic16_memory_mapper_lsb_w)
	AM_RANGE(0xff0000, 0xffffff) AM_RAM // Added this line to enable to search in this area via cheat engine
ADDRESS_MAP_END
Yes, the above way is too tricky to know what happens.
ianpatt

Post by ianpatt »

Ah. That's a good suggestion, I'll add it to the list. System 16 games have a completely dynamic memory map that can for example move the RAM around during runtime, so it'd be impossible for the cheat engine to autodetect things like that without per-driver code.