Cheat Search Problems in Astro Blaster

If you are having problems finding or using cheats for an Emulator (particularly MAME/MESS) or have found a trick that you wish to share this is the place to do it. But please read the Cheat FAQ first.
PhantomDJ

Cheat Search Problems in Astro Blaster

Post by PhantomDJ »

In MAME .120 and .122, all my cheat searches come up empty in Astro Blaster. seems to affect all 4 versions of this game.

In a previous version of .105 and below, the cheat searches seem to work properly. I don't have any intermediate versions to try out to determine when it went bad.

Can someone verify this, and if this problem is real, can we direct it to the proper people to try to get fixed ?

Thanks,

DJ
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

In the search menu when CPU is highlighted hit ENTER and turn the two memory regions on.

Several games are like this, most games have some regions set up though not necessary the regions you need.

Moved topic to Cheat Engine help (MAME Cheats is not the correct forum for this post)
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.259 XML cheat collection (6 OCTOBER 2023) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/q4dHGZ6K#i-EUiqIjH ... KMz7hnbTfw (ZIP Archive 3.76MB)
PhantomDJ

Post by PhantomDJ »

Pugsy wrote:In the search menu when CPU is highlighted hit ENTER and turn the two memory regions on.

Several games are like this, most games have some regions set up though not necessary the regions you need.

Moved topic to Cheat Engine help (MAME Cheats is not the correct forum for this post)
thanks for the info , Pugsy

I appreciate it.

DJ
stephh

Re: Cheat Search Problems in Astro Blaster

Post by stephh »

PhantomDJ wrote:In MAME .120 and .122, all my cheat searches come up empty in Astro Blaster. seems to affect all 4 versions of this game.

In a previous version of .105 and below, the cheat searches seem to work properly. I don't have any intermediate versions to try out to determine when it went bad.

Can someone verify this, and if this problem is real, can we direct it to the proper people to try to get fixed ?

Thanks,

DJ
The segag80r.c driver has been rewritten ... I can't tell when though ...

Anyway, the fact is that by default, the cheat engine selects MWA*_RAM and MWA*_BANK* to determine in which areas to look (to avoid scanning adresses you can't change without specific kind of cheat) ... And if you look at the driver, you'll see the following :

Code: Select all

static ADDRESS_MAP_START( main_map, ADDRESS_SPACE_PROGRAM, 8 )
      AM_RANGE(0x0000, 0x07ff) AM_ROM     /* CPU board ROM */
      AM_RANGE(0x0800, 0x7fff) AM_ROM     /* PROM board ROM area */
      AM_RANGE(0x8000, 0xbfff) AM_ROM     /* PROM board ROM area */
      AM_RANGE(0xc800, 0xcfff) AM_READWRITE(MRA8_RAM, mainram_w) AM_BASE(&mainram)
      AM_RANGE(0xe000, 0xffff) AM_READWRITE(MRA8_RAM, vidram_w) AM_BASE(&videoram)
ADDRESS_MAP_END
You'll notice that there is no region that matches the current criterias, and that's why, by default, you'll always have 0 result ...

As Pugsy said, you must press ENTER on the CPU number to turn ON/OFF the regions you want ... Then you shall be able to have some results ...

Be aware that some searches don't work within the cheat engine because sometimes there are some regions with specific read/write handlers that decrypt what is read or written !

I hope that this helps ... Don't hesitate to ask if you any more question ...

Image Steph from The Ultimate Patchers Image