CE Pointer Problem

If you are having problems finding or using cheats for an Emulator (particularly MAME/MESS) or have found a trick that you wish to share this is the place to do it. But please read the Cheat FAQ first.
Vadox

CE Pointer Problem

Post by Vadox »

Recently I've been trying to learn how to find pointers and such in CE.

My friend asked me to make a trainer but I've a problem.

Here's a screenshot that should explain it all, I want to know how to find out the pointer for this strange "Set Direction Flag"? I've been searching for it but didn't find anything about it.

Screenshot here>
://img515(dot)imageshack(dot)us/my(dot)php?image=mytestpointerba8(dot)gif

I can't post direct link since I'm new member :(
So change (dot) to . and add h * t * t * p in the start of the link.
Sorry for this.

I hope someone will explain this for me.

Thanks in advance. :)
ianpatt

Post by ianpatt »

This forum is for discussion about the cheat engine in MAME, not the PC program with a similar name.

To answer your question, though, the "set direction flag" instruction only modifies registers, it can't modify memory. Something is wrong with your analysis of the code, or CE is breakpointing on the wrong instruction. Assuming you are trying to put a breakpoint that fires when address 0x02692A18 changes, given the contents of the registers and the disassembly, the next instruction is the most likely candidate (repe movsd). It moves ECX (3) 32-bit values of data from the address in ESI (0012FB04) to the address in EDI (02692A18).
Vadox

Post by Vadox »

I noticed that when I started to look around on the forum, sorry for posting at the wrong page, but thanks for your help.