How about this. . .

If you are having problems finding or using cheats for an Emulator (particularly MAME/MESS) or have found a trick that you wish to share this is the place to do it. But please read the Cheat FAQ first.

Be honest here. Which cheat file engine do you like?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:46 pm

The original .dat
No votes
The newer .xml
83%
Doesn't matter
17%

Total votes: 6

HawkOne33

How about this. . .

Post by HawkOne33 »

Hello there fellow gamers, it could sound complicated. If you(Pugsy) know anyone else who can do the cheats in the old .dat file format for the current Mame builds, please ask them to help you work on that while you get some breathing room to work on the .xml cheats, maybe someone can help you as well. It sounds nutty, but give that a try, thanks. Hope to see more great cheats, don't lose yuor touch.
NotAGoodName

Re: How about this. . .

Post by NotAGoodName »

It's going on two years now. .dat is dead and so is the old cheat engine.
Aww yeah. AMD A10-7850K givin' MAME and MESS systems what for.
Pugsy

Re: How about this. . .

Post by Pugsy »

Yes it sounds very nutty.

I still maintain the cheat.dat file but it's merely for my conversion program so that I can keep all the cheats in a single easy to edit file.

There will be no more releases of the .dat file because MAME no longer supports it - so there would be no point.

XML format is a lot more powerful than the .dat format...no cheats were lost in the conversion from .dat to .xml format and many XML format cheats were not possible in the .dat format so I have to add them to my .dat file in raw xml format.

I need no breathing room to work on xml cheats...the difference between maintaining the .dat and .xml cheats is fairly minimal especially as the rate of unique games being added to MAME releases has been slowing down for quite a while.
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.259 XML cheat collection (6 OCTOBER 2023) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/q4dHGZ6K#i-EUiqIjH ... KMz7hnbTfw (ZIP Archive 3.76MB)