Am i searching all of the memory by using CI?

If you are having problems finding or using cheats for an Emulator (particularly MAME/MESS) or have found a trick that you wish to share this is the place to do it. But please read the Cheat FAQ first.
Lurendrejer

Am i searching all of the memory by using CI?

Post by Lurendrejer »

In WWFMANIA there is a gamemode that seemingly doesn't change anything in memory (buddy mode to be specific). Should i run CI with parameters to get everything?

External cheatengines does seem to pick these changes up, but i lost two nights of sleep trying to get anything out of this method.... I understand the "Deadbeef" trick and i can execute it. But it really seems to be uphill all the way. Usually i just end up with no matches for my searches and end up going to work or something else which is nowhere near as important as cheating in mame!
Pugsy

Re: Am i searching all of the memory by using CI?

Post by Pugsy »

If CI alone doesn't pick it up then perhaps if you force it to cheat init the entire memory you will have more luck

Code: Select all

ci ub,0,ffffffff
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.264 XML cheat collection (3 APRIL 2024) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/SxsQUJoT#jBdz6GLm_ ... QzFGSMms2c (ZIP Archive 3.8 MB)
Lurendrejer

Post by Lurendrejer »

Still the same.

Tried a search that couldn't be simpler, to no avail. (CNF EQ if the fourth player was a certain character (as when i CI'ed), and CNF NE if "he" was someone else)

Am i missing something? Or does this thing simply consistent of many stupid entities?

If i load a state, really quick, i get the same buddys two or three times in i row. Could this be a time-based/semi-random thing?
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

It could be random, it's also possible that a single location is a used for multiple things and you maybe looking for a bit which is currently not possible with the MAME cheat engine.

I don't really understand the game or what you exactly you are trying to do....

If a buddy suddenly appears then maybe I could produce a ROM cheat to replicate it...but again I neither understand the game or the what you are trying to do.

If it is something like that - if you can make a TRACE file ('trace wwfmania,0' in the debugger) I can maybe have a looksee. The bigger the TRACE file the better ( a few gigs is good - will 7zip down to a few megs). You would need to play the game normally for a while and then 'trace off,0' as soon as the buddy appears (almost instanteously would be the ideal) - probably a job for next weekend if you don't get anywhere.
Pugsy

MAME 0.264 XML cheat collection (3 APRIL 2024) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
Lurendrejer

Post by Lurendrejer »

The buddy mode is instead of just playing 1vs1 each player gets a AI-controlled buddy. This can be enabled by pressing block five times during the VS screen. I composed a cheat some time (years) ago that set the right bit to always enable buddy mode.

What i would like to do, is have more control over which buddy you are getting. I can control pl1/pl2 characters, but i have found nothing that could relate to choosing/forcing a character upon your "buddy".

Even more fun, although maybe impossible, would be to have two buddys. I can control the number of opponnents (1,2 or 3). But i can't find the number of buddys. And again, if you set the buddy-mode bit and choose 2 player coop/royal rumble, you still get a buddy on you team with some unusual skills (he gets replaced by another wrestler if he dies). This makes me think that when playing coop/royal rumble some bit is set to allow the AI be replaced by new wrestlers all the time. The fun part would be to enable this bit/feature and have normal buddy mode spit out new buddys when they die.

A completely different thing that would be neat was to make the buddy mode conditionary to playing vs/coop, since it breaks the gameplay quite a bit. In short, only set the buddy-mode to enabled when the mode is VS.

Anybody that has any flair for the mk franchise and cartoon violence would love this game - it's great mashup between mk and NBA jam. Although if you are a diehard wrestling fan you really have to look beyond the title. It has nothing to do with wrestling except for the characters.

Did i explain some stuff that could get your ideas flowing? I don't know what dump you would need to find the "buddy"-features, one dump without buddys enabled and one with? As far as i understood you, you need a long consistant session right up until after a buddy appears, or?
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

Well enabling Buddy mode doesn't seem to bring the buddy on screen do you have to do something else to get the buddy on screen?

Any how it'll have to be midweek/next weekend as I'm about to take my MAME PC apart.
Pugsy

Lurendrejer

Post by Lurendrejer »

Set buddy-cheat to On and start a 2 player game. Choose VS battle. If u choose COOP you Will se the bug i mentioned about 3vs1.

/short from phone.