Can you search for more than two bytes?

If you are having problems finding or using cheats for an Emulator (particularly MAME/MESS) or have found a trick that you wish to share this is the place to do it. But please read the Cheat FAQ first.
Lurendrejer

Can you search for more than two bytes?

Post by Lurendrejer »

I just found myself a new "pattern" to look into in my quest to break wwfmania. Which might be ending shortly, it feels more like work than fun atm.

All fights in the roster/ladder use different memory locations to set apponents. If i enable 3 apponents in the first match, and set them to Doink (02). I'm actually setting this:

maincpu.pb@011B4400=02
maincpu.pb@011B4408=02
maincpu.pb@011B4410=02

aka: 02 01 02 02

To be able to search for this string would make it possible to find the apponents for each step of the ladder by doing one search. But if i do a cn eq, 02010202 it just turns out blank.

And please don't tell me how lame it is to set apponents in this manner. I fell and broke my brain when i found out myself. I'm guessing if this were to go into a cheatfile, you could might as well just set it for alle the matches. But i still need to find them.

Another neat thing would be to set/freeze more memory at once. But using "help" i found nothing on maincpu.pb - Can you do a maincpu.pb@00000000=00,02,04,06 kinda thing?
I hope i explained myself clearly - if not, please don't hessitate to poke fun at me.
Lurendrejer

Re: Can you search for more than two bytes?

Post by Lurendrejer »

I guess I found out - you can search the memory "outside" the cheat-engine.

sry for buggering...
NotAGoodName

Post by NotAGoodName »

You can use b,w,d,q for setting multiple bytes.

pb=00
pw=0000
pd=00000000
pq=0000000000000000

Two quads is a full line.

I think there's a variable for ci that allows multiple byte searches but I never bothered.
Aww yeah. AMD A10-7850K givin' MAME and MESS systems what for.
Lurendrejer

Post by Lurendrejer »

Thank you very much. But i didn't really think this all the way through. I would need a pw=param1 param2 param3 kinda deal to make it usable.

Another thing, is it possible to make submenus in the XML format? My cheatlist for WWFmania is getting stupidly long. Mostly things for my own amusement that will never make the final cut.

menus such as:
Cheats>
Settings>
Mods>
Fun>

- would be great.
NotAGoodName

Post by NotAGoodName »

Nah. You just separate it like with <cheat desc=" "/> or something similar. I can sympathize with wanting something to shrink the list. Making cheats for multi-games or consoles (in MAME Plus!) quickly becomes very daunting because there's no way to hide cheats you don't need.
Aww yeah. AMD A10-7850K givin' MAME and MESS systems what for.