About legal aspects of mame..

General Chit-Chat about MAME and other emulators.

Post by Guest »

I would like to know about a question...?when do you consider that a game is "legal" for compiling in mame?, i say that because i watched in this forum people asking for roms but you ansewered that they were not avaliable for mame (metal slug 3, kof 2000, strikers 1945 and so on) but when i downloaded the pugsys cheat data file i found cheats for these games, (acording to that they were in the source code of mame or something similar) are these games going to be avaliable for mame someday?, when you decide if a game is or not "legal" for mame,?how can you get cheats for the games if you do not have the games?, Why are people asking or giving cheats of games not avaliable for mame
Tourniquet

Post by Tourniquet »

It is illegal if it breaks the MAME license which you accept when you use the software.

It is allowed to enable the emulation of these games in private builds.

this is a seperate issue to the copyright infringement caused by using MAME with games you don't own.

It is as illegal to distribute a binary of MAME with kof2000 and mslug3 enabled even if you own the original pcbs as it is to have copies of the games if you don't own them.

Read <a href="www.mame.net/readme.html">the license</a> if you are not clear on it's usage.

People tend to be more defensive of MAME's copyright because the product is open-source and freely distributable and because many people have contributed either directly or indirectly to it.
Tourniquet

Post by Tourniquet »

btw, you asked these Q's before as both neo-2 and eljose79. Why did you ask AGAIN?
eljose79

Post by eljose79 »

Yes, i asked but i think it is a bit hipocresy to have games made in 99, and not to have games made in the 2000 or 2001 when you know they are the most wanted by mame users, (i hope not to annoy you whit my replies but it is that i think).
and you did not ansewered the last question will be these games avaliable for mame someday?, (for example within 4 or five years .
ianpatt

Post by ianpatt »

These games will be in MAME eventually. Usually once a game is over two years old it gets put in unless it's still making lots of money in the arcades.
eljose79

Post by eljose79 »

Thanks for your reply but, when it comes to neo-geo games i think they will never be released, i have read in a web page (i think it was http://www.speksnk.com) that snk closed its doors and was bought by other company, well this company is going to fight piracy (including emulators) so i think it will be legal actions against m.a.m.e because it has neo-geo games avaliable so perhaps we will not have the newest neo-geo games because this, (by the way i have discovered a web page where you can download the newest neo-geo games could i post this page in the message board?), good bye and thanks for viewing and answering my messages.