Analog conversion sucks

General Chit-Chat about MAME and other emulators.
NotAGoodName

Analog conversion sucks

Post by NotAGoodName »

Does anyone know some setting, method, or MAME compile that can get around the absolutely shoddy analog conversion? The current system makes fighting games just plain unplayable with a controller that has analog sticks. I need MAME to not consider any minuscule amount of down as down. No level of saturation seems to have any effect and deadzone doesn't fix it at all. When a charge move whiffs, it's the emulator.

Currently running MAME32 Plus on XP with a third party 360 controller, if it matters.
Aww yeah. AMD A10-7850K givin' MAME and MESS systems what for.
Mohsin

Re: Analog conversion sucks

Post by Mohsin »

analog controls are mostly for 360 degree games or racing games, well i`m using a custom ps2 controller and the fighting games like kof & samsho works fine for me. any angle which is not a 0,90,180,270 and 360 is considered as in both directions on a analog stick. i dont think it really matters because the games works fine.
Thats not a game hack

http://mamec.netii.net/
NotAGoodName

Post by NotAGoodName »

Mohsin wrote:any angle which is not a 0,90,180,270 and 360 is considered as in both directions on a analog stick.
And that behavior would be incorrect. Since my thumb can't unhinge itself I shouldn't be expected to be that accurate. There should be the same amount of distance on the stick for all 8 directions. The current way it handles it is biased to diagonals.

Seriously. Try SF3 or SVC with a typical analog controller. It's absolutely unplayable.
Mohsin

Post by Mohsin »

hmmm strange this behavier is with CPS games, neogeo games works perfect, well atleast for me. (tested with neorageX too), but still analog cant replace the standard 8 way joystick, Arcade 8 way joystick is not so difficult to build, here in Pakistan, many arcade games retailers are now selling custom built standard arcade 8 way joysticks fitted in a wooden box to play games on pc which plugs in on game port, i think this can also be done by some soldering on the electronic circuit from any gamepad.
Thats not a game hack

http://mamec.netii.net/
NotAGoodName

Post by NotAGoodName »

Arcade parts are pretty pricey here. Doesn't help that 15-pin ports are all but extinct. I guess I'll have to just buy a Genesis USB converter, eventually. They aren't cheap, but at least I already have a couple controllers. (And it's an easy way to get 6 face buttons instead of 4...)

I tried using the d-pad on my Joytech 360 controller and sure enough it works a lot better, but modern controllers just aren't made for that. 4 rounds and my thumb already feels like I've been playing for over an hour. At least I didn't whiff any charge moves.