I saw this in VisualBoyAdvance

General Chit-Chat about MAME and other emulators.
Gemini78

I saw this in VisualBoyAdvance

Post by Gemini78 »

COPYRIGHT.TXT
Cheat search engine adapted from Snes9x source code.

There are a lot of emulators that have that type of cheat searching (Mame, Zsnes, Snes9x, etc.) and there are some that only have Game Genie/Shark support.

Is this due to the complexity of the emulated hardware (or other difficulty) or have some emulator authors just haven't gotten around to adding it yet?

In other words, can we expect all emulators to have that ability in the future?
ianpatt

Re: I saw this in VisualBoyAdvance

Post by ianpatt »

Gemini78 wrote:Is this due to the complexity of the emulated hardware (or other difficulty) or have some emulator authors just haven't gotten around to adding it yet?
In the case of GBA emulators, the GameShark uses encrypted codes which AFAIK haven't been decoded yet. This would create problems with emulating a GameShark device...
Gemini78 wrote:In other words, can we expect all emulators to have that ability in the future?
I would certainly hope so. I much prefer the ability to make my own cheats over using the (usually incomplete) lists provided by Galoob/InterAct.
kendrakirai

Post by kendrakirai »

Actually, the GBA gameshark codes are available in VBA. So are codebreaker, simple 'codes' (I still don't know what exactly those are), and byte hacks like what you make.

I also like to make my own codes (tho I still haven't gotten the hang of making some codes...like complete invincibility in most games(infinite energy doesn't really count), walk thru walls codes, moon jump codes...things like that. I'm good with things that have definite values tho. But most anyone is :))

What I'm waiting for is an NES emulator that uses zsnes's style of cheat searching...I want to make my own codes for games like Solar Jetman (The pc10 version is....icky. That damn screen at the top, the extra buttons way out in the middle of nowhere...ick. :))

Oh, and I think he was asking 'is it harder to make the emulator do cheat searches, or are the authors just lazy?' :)