All hail the new era of MAME/MESS/UME

General Chit-Chat about MAME and other emulators.
NotAGoodName

All hail the new era of MAME/MESS/UME

Post by NotAGoodName »

I'd like to, if I may, express my pleasure concerning how the new software list system and cheats work. This is the best thing ever. And while there's still seemingly a need for a more sufficient frontend, BAT files are good enough.

Thanks to all of this, I've been able to experience the interesting diversity of the game consoles of my youth. I wasn't previously familiar with the TG16/PCE, but now that I've tried it (and other consoles), I feel much more educated in the history of gaming. It's quite interesting to experience the arcade-like feel of the TG16, then play with the blazing speed of the Sega Genesis, and finish it up with the unsatisfying albeit colorful SNES. What a gamble the SNES was for Nintendo. It's very fortunate for them that gamers were willing to tolerate the obvious inadequacy of the SNES CPU for the upgrade in color output. Oh, and the Atari 7800 was a piece of garbage, so it's not that great of an experience.

Further more, UME is very close to being a complete emulation solution. I can look forward to playing Saturn games that I ripped from my own CDs should I acquire even a marginally better computer. PSX emulation should soon be very good, but games that support the dual shock 2 don't work yet. Sega CD emulation is as good as any other emulator, but 6-button support is currently broken (as it is in 32X). Very minor problems that I can assume will soon be fixed. And because this is so successful, we may even see sorts of enhanced compiles like MAME Plus! with new "hack" consoles. "Genesis w/ Motorola 68020" would be very interesting since it's a real thing. A severely overclocked SNES would be useful, too.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some 75 or so posts to make. I've been gone for a long time and I have things that need to posted.
Aww yeah. AMD A10-7850K givin' MAME and MESS systems what for.