[nbajamte] Power Up Cheats

This FORUM is ONLY for posting requests for M.A.M.E. arcade cheats. The actual cheats should be posted in the M.A.M.E. "Arcade" Cheats forum. For cheat requests a 'please' would do no harm...
editing101

[nbajamte] Power Up Cheats

Post by editing101 »

Hi guys,

As some new discoveries have been made with the cheats for the original NBA Jam (thank you Pugsy :)), I’d like to make a request to enable the ‘power up’ codes from NBA Jam TE on the MAME cheat menu.

As with the original Jam, you have to enter the following button combinations on the ‘match up’ screen in TE to enable the ‘power ups’ :

BIG HEAD: Hold Joystick Up and Hold Turbo and Steal
HUGE HEAD: Hit Shoot 5 Times, then Hold Joystick Up, hold Turbo and Pass
TOURNAMENT MODE: Hold Joystick Right and Hold All 3 buttons
SHOOTING PERCENTAGE: Spin Joystick Clockwise and Rapidly Tap All Three buttons
MAX POWER: Hold Joystick Down and Hold all 3 buttons Down and START
POWER-UP GOALTENDING: Hit Shoot 24 times (difficult!)
BABY-SIZED PLAYERS: Hold Joystick at DOWN/RIGHT Angle and Tap Turbo then Shoot then Pass 3 times.
QUICK HANDS: Hold Joystick down and hit Shoot 5 times and hold on 5th

The TANK GAME is not confirmed for TE - maybe a check can be done to see if it exists in the code?!?

As with the original Jam, the effects of these cheats are always confirmed on the game screen afterwards:

Big Head Mode

Huge Head Mode

Tournament Mode

Shooting Percentage

Max Power

Baby-Sized Players

Quick Hands

Pugsy/Abystus, is there any chance you can adapt your previous cheat format for the original NBA Jam to check the TE version for any power ups that can be enabled on the ‘match up’ screen? Any info you have would be great!
Pugsy

Re: [nbajamte] Power Up Cheats

Post by Pugsy »

Found what I could replicate, no tank game as far as I can see.

I will need save states (MAME 0.187 or 0.188) for the other features as I couldn't replicate the keypresses...

Updated post save states.....

Huge Head is not ideal as the text is wrong but the head isn't. But it'll do...

Code: Select all

<cheat desc=" "/>
  <cheat desc="Power Up Cheats"/>

<cheat desc="Tournament Mode (Stops other Power Up cheats working)"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen, If you enable this the 'Max Power', 'Powerup Goal Tending' and the 'Quick Hands' cheats won't work</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pb@10EB1C0=01</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="Baby Size Players"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10EAAA0=0001</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="Shot % Display"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10EB1A0=0001</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="Huge Heads in preference to Big Heads"> <comment>Enable this and 'Big/Huge Head' will always give you a Huge Head instead of a Big Head although the text will say Big Head #1</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.mw@EE9C=C003</action> <!-- This ROM cheat was made by Pugsy, EE9C=FF8774E0 -->
    </script>
    <script state="off">
      <action>maincpu.mw@EE9C=CA03</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P1 Big/Huge Head"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E6950=0001|(maincpu.pw@10E6950 BAND ~0001)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P1 Max Power"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10EB1D0=0001|(maincpu.pw@10EB1D0 BAND ~0001)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P1 Powerup Goal Tending"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10EB160=0018</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P1 Quick Hands"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E6960=0001|(maincpu.pw@10E6960 BAND ~0001)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P2 Big/Huge Head"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E6950=0002|(maincpu.pw@10E6950 BAND ~0002)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P2 Max Power"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10EB1D0=0002|(maincpu.pw@10EB1D0 BAND ~0002)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P2 Powerup Goal Tending"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10EB170=0018</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P2 Quick Hands"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E6960=0002|(maincpu.pw@10E6960 BAND ~0002)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P3 Big/Huge Head"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E6950=0004|(maincpu.pw@10E6950 BAND ~0004)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P3 Max Power"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10EB1D0=0004|(maincpu.pw@10EB1D0 BAND ~0004)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P3 Powerup Goal Tending"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10EB180=0018</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P3 Quick Hands"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E6960=0004|(maincpu.pw@10E6960 BAND ~0004)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P4 Big/Huge Head"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E6950=0008|(maincpu.pw@10E6950 BAND ~0008)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P4 Max Power"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10EB1D0=0008|(maincpu.pw@10EB1D0 BAND ~0008)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P4 Powerup Goal Tending"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10EB190=0018</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

<cheat desc="P4 Quick Hands"> <comment>Enable before the 'Match Up' Screen</comment>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pw@10E6960=0008|(maincpu.pw@10E6960 BAND ~0008)</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.259 XML cheat collection (6 OCTOBER 2023) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/q4dHGZ6K#i-EUiqIjH ... KMz7hnbTfw (ZIP Archive 3.76MB)
editing101

Post by editing101 »

Thanks Pugsy :)! Have the save states, and trying to attach to a PM, but can't see the option where to attach files?!?

Maybe try these variations on the cheats listed above to get them to work:

HUGE HEAD: Hold UP First, then hit Shoot 5 Times, continue holding Up and then hold Turbo and Pass
SHOOTING PERCENTAGE: Spin Joystick Clockwise (continuously) and Rapidly Tap All Three buttons (at the same time) at least seven times
MAX POWER: Hold Joystick Down and Hold all 3 buttons Down (without START)
BABY-SIZED PLAYERS: Hold Joystick at DOWN/RIGHT Angle and quickly press in this order - Turbo, Shoot, Pass, Turbo, Shoot, Pass, Turbo, Shoot, Pass.

Hope this helps :)
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

Can you 7z them all up in a single file (much smaller then zip) please, and upload to one of the free filesharing sites like https://mega.nz ?
Pugsy

MAME 0.259 XML cheat collection (6 OCTOBER 2023) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
editing101

Post by editing101 »

No worries! Just sent you a PM with the info. Look forward to finding out more!
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

editing101 wrote:No worries! Just sent you a PM with the info. Look forward to finding out more!
There's no PM in my inbox though?

Just post the link in this thread...if its a free host it doesn't matter if others grab them.
Pugsy

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

Thanks for the save states, updated the above post.

Huge Head isn't ideal but it uses a temporary RAM address which gets hosed...so I did it as ROM cheat which swaps any big heads to huge heads.
Pugsy

editing101

Post by editing101 »

Great work Pugsy, cheers for that :D ! Huge Heads with Baby-Sized Players is certainly one of the more interesting Power Up combinations!

Sorry to bother, but is there any chance you can adapt these codes to work with either revisions 1 or 2 ([nbajamt1] or [nbajamt2]) of TE?

The reason I ask is that revisions 1 and 2 are the only versions of TE that contain the hidden MK characters (Reptile, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Scorpion), and it would be great to use these cheats with those characters :)
RuthlessT138

Post by RuthlessT138 »

Sorry to bother, but is there any chance you can adapt these codes to work with either revisions 1 or 2 ([nbajamt1] or [nbajamt2]) of TE?

The reason I ask is that revisions 1 and 2 are the only versions of TE that contain the hidden MK characters (Reptile, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Scorpion), and it would be great to use these cheats with those characters :)
Hope I'm not being annoying by bumping, but I too would love to see this. Nice work with this and the Power Up cheats for regular NBA Jam as well. Learning Mode 1 also sounds interesting for either game, if it exists. Many thanks!