[hsf2] [ssf2t] Hyper/Super Street Fighter II Turbo - Corrected Difficulty

This FORUM is ONLY for posting requests for M.A.M.E. arcade cheats. The actual cheats should be posted in the M.A.M.E. "Arcade" Cheats forum. For cheat requests a 'please' would do no harm...
mmarino4

[hsf2] [ssf2t] Hyper/Super Street Fighter II Turbo - Corrected Difficulty

Post by mmarino4 »

There is a known bug with all versions of Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Hyper Street Fighter II. The difficulty adjustment works correctly on the Japanese version where selecting the easiest setting will make the CPU fighters much easier to defeat and so on. This setting does not work correctly on any other regional version (USA, Asia, Hispanic, Etc). If you use the current MAME cheats and switch the region to Japan on any Super or Hyper ROM, the difficulty setting will working correctly so it is already embedded in the game.

It would be great to force the difficulty via a MAME cheat based on the Japan settings since the menu selections are not working correctly.
Abystus

Re: [hsf2] [ssf2t] Hyper/Super Street Fighter II Turbo - Corrected Difficulty

Post by Abystus »

Can you test the cheats below to see if they work for you?

hsf2.xml

Code: Select all

<cheat desc="Respect Difficulty Setting For All Regions">
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.ow@005C96=601E</action><!-- This Program Code cheat was made by Abystus -->
    </script>
    <script state="off">
      <action>maincpu.ow@005C96=6718</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>
ssf2t.xml

<script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.ow@00584A=601E</action><!-- This Program Code cheat was made by Abystus -->
    </script>
    <script state="off">
      <action>maincpu.ow@00584A=6718</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>
Bored? Watch some of my hacks here.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Knew there must have been something iffy with SSF2T's CPU opponents after all those years. Never occurred with the CPS1 games or New Challengers but suddenly the CPU decides it wants to kick your ass in 15 seconds instead of eating every move under the sun? Probably a deliberate "mistake" to get more money. Or they saw Mortal Kombat II and wanted to replicate the AI. :lol:

Tekken 3 pulled a similar quarter-munching trick in 1P mode, the non-Japanese versions seem to default to just 95 health (marked as -1 in the test mode) instead of 125 so you can die quicker against the CPU. Of course, it also means faster time records if you're good and/or the CPU doesn't just read your moves and knock you out in three hits (Ogre says hi). FWIW, the PS1 version gives you 130 health, and the PS2 version (Tekken 5 Arcade History mode) gives you 140.
mmarino4

Post by mmarino4 »

Abystus wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:41 am Can you test the cheats below to see if they work for you?

hsf2.xml

<script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.ow@005C96=601E</action><!-- This Program Code cheat was made by Abystus -->
    </script>
    <script state="off">
      <action>maincpu.ow@005C96=6718</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>
ssf2t.xml

<script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.ow@00584A=601E</action><!-- This Program Code cheat was made by Abystus -->
    </script>
    <script state="off">
      <action>maincpu.ow@00584A=6718</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

I did some testing and it definitely seems to be working in both games. Great job and thank you.
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

Thanks, added
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.264 XML cheat collection (3 APRIL 2024) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/SxsQUJoT#jBdz6GLm_ ... QzFGSMms2c (ZIP Archive 3.8 MB)
Solstar

Post by Solstar »

hello would it be possible to have something similar for mortal kombat 2/3? As i am sure you know already, there are some videos that shows that even by choosing the easiest setting, that only works for the first match (sometinmes the second) and after that difficulty will spike to the maximum
mattwu64

Post by mattwu64 »

Hi, this is a proper noob question, I'm sure... but how do you go about using this (xml formatted) cheat in RetroArch? Specifically the Mame 2003-Plus core?
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

mattwu64 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:40 pm Hi, this is a proper noob question, I'm sure... but how do you go about using this (xml formatted) cheat in RetroArch? Specifically the Mame 2003-Plus core?
Nope XML cheats are not supported in that.
Pugsy

MAME 0.264 XML cheat collection (3 APRIL 2024) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
mattwu64

Post by mattwu64 »

Pugsy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:15 pm
mattwu64 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:40 pm Hi, this is a proper noob question, I'm sure... but how do you go about using this (xml formatted) cheat in RetroArch? Specifically the Mame 2003-Plus core?
Nope XML cheats are not supported in that.
Thanks for the response. Is there a way to convert an XML cheat to a different file format, such as CHT or DAT?
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

Thanks for the response. Is there a way to convert an XML cheat to a different file format, such as CHT or DAT?
It can be done manually but I'm unsure that those games with their encrypted ROMs will actually support DAT ROM cheats to begin with. If you are going to play games in MAME I'd go with standard standalone MAME rather than a buggy old RA core.

I don't know about the CHT format, but I doubt that has any way of handling any such ROM cheats.

RA is like marmite, and I really don't like marmite. If you have a normal PC of some sort - use standalone MAME, if you only have a low powered SBC/portable of some sort you'll have limited options but cheat compatability will be one of those limitations you'll simply have to live with.
Pugsy

mattwu64

Post by mattwu64 »

Thank you for your detailed explaination. Your help has been much appreicated.