POLL: are the old ways gold ways?

If you are having problems finding or using cheats for an Emulator (particularly MAME/MESS) or have found a trick that you wish to share this is the place to do it. But please read the Cheat FAQ first.
kelvSYC

POLL: are the old ways gold ways?

Post by kelvSYC »

I see that despite the new cheat engine, many of the new cheats are still posted in the old format.

While I personally don't see anything wrong in that. After all, the new cheat format is officially two versions old. There are still some MAME users who haven't upgraded since who knows when. Furthermore, there are some signs that the new format only causes confusion (note the various posts on the merits of old vs new).

But would you rather see the cheats posted in old format if possible? Is the old cheat format gold?

Please reply to this post with a "Yes" or "No" (or an equivalent in your language). Reasons are optional.
kelvSYC's Guide to the Cheat Engine - http://members.shaw.ca/kelvsyc/cheatguide.html

The New Move List Cheat Collection - http://mamecheat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6469

Underscore Command - What better game is there?
stephh

Re: POLL: are the old ways gold ways?

Post by stephh »

kelvSYC wrote: I see that despite the new cheat engine, many of the new cheats are still posted in the old format.

While I personally don't see anything wrong in that. After all, the new cheat format is officially two versions old. There are still some MAME users who haven't upgraded since who knows when. Furthermore, there are some signs that the new format only causes confusion (note the various posts on the merits of old vs new).

But would you rather see the cheats posted in old format if possible? Is the old cheat format gold?

Please reply to this post with a "Yes" or "No" (or an equivalent in your language). Reasons are optional.
Well ... I've been using the old cheat format since 1997 and I'm more familiar with it than the new one (of course) ...

Then, the new cheat format is mainly for new type of cheats (most of them have been requested by Pugsy last year) ...

But note that I'm using the new format for the mahjong games, mainly because of the "Watch tiles" cheats which can sometimes be very tricky ...

Now you can post the cheats in the format you want, I'll always try to convert them back to old format if this is possible ...

Steph from The Ultimate Patchers

Visit Image The Ultimate Patchers' site Image
ianpatt

Post by ianpatt »

I don't think it really matters. Cheats that require features in the new format will be posted in the new format, while from the engine's (and my) point of view, it doesn't make a difference. There is no real benefit to posting simple cheats in the new format.

So, I'd say that I agree with Steph here.
Mike_Haggar

Post by Mike_Haggar »

Well... I got a Final Burn Alpha 2 MAME Cheat Converter and it just does old style codes... so I'll be posting old style format whenever there is new or updated CPS-x codes...
Member of the FinalBurn Alpha Team
http://fba.emuunlim.com/