[elevator] Invincibility

This forum is for posting M.A.M.E. arcade cheats. Requests will be fulfilled here....but please keep the requests to the requests forum.
AmigaFan

[elevator] Invincibility

Post by AmigaFan »

Sorry about disappearing soon after you gave me a copy of the trace file analyser, I've had some real life issues and had to move for a new job....no working from home anymore either :(

I noticed that someone had made a request for Elevator Action invincibility cheats. So I figured I'd give this a shot to get me back.
Annoyingly I've spotted jman has posted some cheats for it in the WIP section...#@@@@#! Looking at jman's cheat though they missed out on stopping the falling happening and they have used routines for the elevator crushing - hopefully I've not missed something silly and haven't over simplified the cheat?

I've made the cheat in the way you suggested with the temp variables (thanks for the quick tool).

TFAN help on the bullet check was limited, it did drop me near the address but I ended up either giving everything invincibility to bullets or making the bullets keep going. So I cheated a little and used part of the code that the No Hit DIP Switch. It worked fine with the other ways of dieing, straight out of the park!

Works for elevator, elevatora & elevatorb I believe.

Code: Select all

<cheat desc="Invincibility">
    <script state="on">
      <action>temp0 =maincpu.mb@08BB</action>
      <action>temp1 =maincpu.mb@3805</action>
      <action>temp2 =maincpu.mb@4A8B</action>
      <action>temp3 =maincpu.mb@4975</action>
      <action>temp4 =maincpu.mb@49A3</action>
    </script>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.mb@08BB=C9</action> <!-- This Program Code cheat was made by AmigaFan, 'No Hit' DIP bullet check -->
      <action>maincpu.mb@3805=C9</action> <!-- Elevator Down -->
      <action>maincpu.mb@4A8B=C9</action> <!-- Elevator Up -->
      <action>maincpu.mb@4975=C3</action> <!-- Don't Allow Fall to Death - left walking -->
      <action>maincpu.mb@49A3=C3</action> <!-- Don't Allow Fall to Death - right walking -->
    </script>
    <script state="off">
      <action>maincpu.mb@08BB=temp0 </action>
      <action>maincpu.mb@3805=temp1 </action>
      <action>maincpu.mb@4A8B=temp2 </action>
      <action>maincpu.mb@4975=temp3 </action>
      <action>maincpu.mb@49A3=temp4 </action>
    </script>
  </cheat>
I need to get back to the PC Engine CD cheats that I promised as well, I just can't face it at the moment.
jman

Re: [elevator] Invincibility

Post by jman »

Great.

But an enemy gets invincibility for pressing by elevator in your code (see 2nd demonstration play).

normal

your code

You need to search each character's routine though I can't find so that I insert custome routine for checking character.

And can you create invincibility code for falling down "in jumping"?
AmigaFan

Post by AmigaFan »

Thanks, never spotted that the enemies could be crushed by the lift too.

Didn't know you could jump in Elevator Action....how did I miss that? Not sure how to handle that as there might be an open elevator shaft meaning there's nothing to fall onto - I think that maybe tricky (shall look some more).

Anyway, updated cheat to allow enemies to be crushed. I've not RET'd out the code at 4A76 as a gets overwritten before it is used and it saves a write.

EDIT: I've added maincpu.mb@4A40=C9 which stops you falling down the shaft when jumping - if you land on open shaft you can walk across like it's floor.

<cheat desc="Invincibility">
    <script state="on">
      <action>temp0 =maincpu.mb@08BB</action>
      <action>temp1 =maincpu.mb@3805</action>
      <action>temp2 =maincpu.md@4A72</action>
      <action>temp3 =maincpu.mb@4975</action>
      <action>temp4 =maincpu.mb@49A3</action>
      <action>temp5 =maincpu.mb@4A40</action>
    </script>
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.mb@08BB=C9</action> <!-- This Program Code cheat was made by AmigaFan, 'No Hit' DIP bullet check -->
      <action>maincpu.mb@3805=C9</action> <!-- Elevator Up -->
      <action>maincpu.md@4A72=000936DD</action> <!-- Elevator Down -->
      <action>maincpu.mb@4975=C3</action> <!-- Don't Allow Fall to Death - left walking -->
      <action>maincpu.mb@49A3=C3</action> <!-- Don't Allow Fall to Death - right walking -->
      <action>maincpu.mb@4A40=C9</action> <!-- Don't Fall down shaft when jumping -->
    </script>
    <script state="off">
      <action>maincpu.mb@08BB=temp0 </action>
      <action>maincpu.mb@3805=temp1 </action>
      <action>maincpu.md@4A72=temp2 </action>
      <action>maincpu.mb@4975=temp3 </action>
      <action>maincpu.mb@49A3=temp4 </action>
      <action>maincpu.mb@4A40=temp5 </action>
    </script>
  </cheat>
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

AmigaFan wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:09 pm Sorry about disappearing soon after you gave me a copy of the trace file analyser, I've had some real life issues and had to move for a new job....no working from home anymore either :(
Real life can be sucky..

As I said at the time, whenever I give out a copies of my trace tools they always seem to have the reverse of the desired effect. I put it down to the fact that it somewhat diminishes the challenge and the mental reward.
AmigaFan wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:09 pmI've made the cheat in the way you suggested with the temp variables (thanks for the quick tool).
Thanks, it does make my job a lot easier.
AmigaFan wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:09 pmTFAN help on the bullet check was limited, it did drop me near the address but I ended up either giving everything invincibility to bullets or making the bullets keep going. So I cheated a little and used part of the code that the No Hit DIP Switch. It worked fine with the other ways of dieing, straight out of the park!
Yeah, there's never any guarantees with any tool - it really depends on how the game was coded and how any routines have been shared.
AmigaFan wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:09 pmI need to get back to the PC Engine CD cheats that I promised as well, I just can't face it at the moment.
Doh, I was hoping the radio silence was due to you beavering away with the pcecd.dat....
AmigaFan wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:09 pmI've not RET'd out the code at 4A76 as a gets overwritten before it is used and it saves a write.
I'd peronally have put a C9 at 4A76 just for safety.

Anyway, thanks for the cheat - I've grabbed them from your 2nd post.
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.264 XML cheat collection (3 APRIL 2024) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/SxsQUJoT#jBdz6GLm_ ... QzFGSMms2c (ZIP Archive 3.8 MB)
jman

Post by jman »

elevator and clones have in-game ROM check so that "Invincibility" in the database based on 0.259 will cause the game freeze/reset.
In-game ROM check skipper is the following. (Code is the same in all sets)

<cheat desc="Skip In-game Rom Check">
        <script state="on">
            <actioh>temp0 = maincpu.mb@0764</action>
            <action>temp1 = maincpu.mw@125E</action>
            <action>temp2 = maincpu.mw@4C18</action>
        </script>
        <script state="run">
            <action>maincpu.mb@0764 = C3  </action>
            <action>maincpu.mw@125E = 6531</action>
            <action>maincpu.mw@4C18 = 3018</action>
        </script>
        <script state="off">
            <action>maincpu.mb@0764 = temp0</action>
            <action>maincpu.mw@125E = temp1</action>
            <action>maincpu.mw@4C18 = temp2</action>
        </script>
    </cheat>
If you use/create any ROM codes, set the above code and DON'T TURN OFF.
Pugsy

Post by Pugsy »

Thanks, added
Pugsy

Servicing your cheating needs since 1985 8)

Grab the latest cheat collection:
MAME 0.264 XML cheat collection (3 APRIL 2024) from http://www.mamecheat.co.uk or direct from:-
https://mega.nz/file/SxsQUJoT#jBdz6GLm_ ... QzFGSMms2c (ZIP Archive 3.8 MB)